3rd Trimester

Unnecessary tests?? WWYD?

I'm a little aggravated because my OB called and wants me to take the 3 hour GTT test because, even though I passed the 1 hour, the results were "elevated". I checked online and the normal range for fasting 1 hour is 65 to 95 - I got an 83. Maybe it's just because I don't want to sit through a 3 hour test, but does that seem "elevated" to anyone else? At my last visit she ordered bloodwork to check my thyroid because I gained 7 lbs in a month. I'm currently 30 weeks and only gained 10 prior to the 7 lb jump. I told her that I had my thyroid tested not even a year ago and it was normal but she insisted I check again because sometimes thyroid issues surface during pregnancy. Part of me thinks I should just do what's recommended to rule out any possible issues, but there's something inside telling me that she's pushing the tests because she's getting something out of it. It just seems like something new is ordered at every visit. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Unnecessary tests?? WWYD?

• To be honest I'd say no to both. It definitely sounds like she could be pushing it because she would benefit somehow.

• I am not sure where you were looking for your information but as far as i remember its not higher than 80 for normal range, some offices even use 70 as a cutoff. More than likely you would pass your 3 hour, my 1 hour was about 83 as well and i passed my 3 hour with flying colors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Its not that bad. I'd take the 3 hour, personally. Better safe than sorry. Your number seemed in the middling area. If it were 73 I'd say skip it, but 83 is close enough. Your weight gain may be another indicator that you might have GD.  If your doctor thinks its necessary then I wouldn't fight it too much. Honestly, its better to "prove him wrong" with a negative test than to skip it and put yourself at risk. 

What do you honestly think your doctor gets out of ordering tests? I am asking you to sincerely consider this. I think its ludicrous to assume that your doctor is not acting in your best interest when trying to screen you for two very big things that can affect your health and your pregnancy. Another serious question: If you don't trust your doctor then why are you using them? If you don't trust them to screen you for your own good then what in the world do you think they are out to do trying to deliver your baby? I am side eyeing that being your reason for not wanting to get the tests. If you don't trust your doctor to do right by you then get a new one.   

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    Its not that bad. I'd take the 3 hour, personally. Better safe than sorry. Your number seemed in the middling area. If it were 73 I'd say skip it, but 83 is close enough. Your weight gain may be another indicator that you might have GD. nbsp;If your doctor thinks its necessary then I wouldn't fight it too much. Honestly, its better to "prove him wrong" with a negative test than to skip it and put yourself at risk.nbsp;What do you honestly think your doctor gets out of ordering tests? I am asking you to sincerely consider this. I think itsnbsp;ludicrous to assume that your doctor is not acting in your best interest when trying to screen you for two very big things that can affect your health and your pregnancy. Another serious question: If you don't trust your doctor then why are you using them? If you don't trust them to screen you for your own good then what in the world do you think they are out to do trying to deliver your baby? I am side eyeing that being your reason for not wanting to get the tests. If you don't trust your doctor to do right by you then get a new one.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

All of this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I passed my 1 hr by like 2 or 3 points, but my OB said a pass is a pass. However if she would have recommended taking the 3 hr I would have. Better safe then sorry and in the scheme of things it's not a big deal. I don't really see what she would be gaining out of ordering tests, my dr doesn't make any $$ off of them b/c they're done by an outside lab. If you really feel strongly about it then discuss it with your dr further.

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• With assuming you were within a normal BMI weight range pregnancy your weight sounds fine to have gained 17 lbs by 30 weeks.  I have been gaining weight really randomly this pregnancy. I was only up 5lbs and then BAM I gained like 9 in a matter of 4 weeks but it is tapering off to a lb a week now. My OB hasn't said anything to be about it because I still within the average, although low, for what I should be gaining. 

For the gluclose my results said the standard range is 70-129mg/dl and I came out with a 69.  Is there any other OB you can possibly get a second opinion from?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You could ask to do the 2 hour fasting test instead of the three hour.  From what I understand it can be more accurate than the three hour if you really want to be sure and it takes an hour less than the three hour.  It might be better to be safe than sorry as undiagnosed GD can cause issues.  

But if you are finding yourself not trusting your caregiver then I think it's time to find a new one.  It just sounds like you feel like she has other motives and if that's how you're feeling then you clearly don't trust her, whether she's wrong or right.  It sounds like you don't feel like you can have open conversations with her and that's an issue.  Just be warned that a new doctor may suggest the same tests, but hopefully you find someone where you feel safe asking these questions to.

Just and FYI though, I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks between week 18 and 22.  I was told that this sort of gain at that point is very common in the second trimester and it's likely due to my body changing how it processes certain foods thanks to the pregnancy.  She suggested I cut down on carbs and sugars (I was eating a lot of fruit), which I did.  Since then I haven't gained a pound.  It had nothing to do with my thyroid or blood sugar and she considered it normal.  A few small diet changes fixed it right away.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Thyroid issues do indeed surface in pregnancy.  If your levels haven't been checked in over a year, I'd have them checked again.  It sounds like your doc is just being thorough.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I know it's not that bad and I most likely will have the three hour done, but I was curious to see if anyone else would be suspicious. The office I go to has their own lab, so I do think the more tests that are run the more $ they make. The range on my test results said 65-95 was the normal range so I wouldn't necessarily think that an 83 was elevated. I'm going to this OB because she came recommended by a family member who happens to be a L&D nurse where I'm delivering. I'm farther along in my pregnancy and I don't really want to change OBs now. 

• imagefuturebray:

I know it's not that bad and I most likely will have the three hour done, but I was curious to see if anyone else would be suspicious. The office I go to has their own lab, so I do think the more tests that are run the more $ they make. The range on my test results said 65-95 was the normal range so I wouldn't necessarily think that an 83 was elevated. I'm going to this OB because she came recommended by a family member who happens to be a L&D nurse where I'm delivering. I'm farther along in my pregnancy and I don't really want to change OBs now. 

I'm 32 weeks and switching caregivers.  Not because I want to but because I moved but it's not that bad.  And if I meet this new doctor (next week) and decide I don't like her I will not hesitate to switch.  I find it VERY important to be with someone I trust rather than settle for someone I can deal with.  But that's just me when it comes to doctors in general!  I am VERY picky.  

I agree that 83 doesn't really seem elevated if those are the numbers you were given, but maybe the doctor is seeing other things to base this re-test off of.  Is there sugar showing up in your urine, perhaps?

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Thanks - i definitely agree. I think I'm having a harder time with the decision to switch because she came recommended by someone who works with most of the OBs in my area and she should know who is good and who isn't. I've never had sugar show up in my urine. Protein once and because of that i had to pee in a jug for 48 hours (that test came back normal too). I hope it is that she's just very thorough, but I just get a vibe. She's also quick to write prescriptions for every symptom - it's just a little weird. I'll do what the doc says because its not going to hurt anybody but it is annoying.
  • skioskio member
    GD and thyroid issues are not things I would mess around with during pregnancy.

The thyroid test is a simple blood draw. I am a slim, active person regularly and I had to both take the 3 hour GTT and was diagnosed with subclinical [caused by the pregnancy] hypothyroidism. Both issues can arise in anyone, anytime.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imagePrimRoseMama:
    Its not that bad. I'd take the 3 hour, personally. Better safe than sorry. Your number seemed in the middling area. If it were 73 I'd say skip it, but 83 is close enough. Your weight gain may be another indicator that you might have GD. nbsp;If your doctor thinks its necessary then I wouldn't fight it too much. Honestly, its better to "prove him wrong" with a negative test than to skip it and put yourself at risk.nbsp;What do you honestly think your doctor gets out of ordering tests? I am asking you to sincerely consider this. I think itsnbsp;ludicrous to assume that your doctor is not acting in your best interest when trying to screen you for two very big things that can affect your health and your pregnancy. Another serious question: If you don't trust your doctor then why are you using them? If you don't trust them to screen you for your own good then what in the world do you think they are out to do trying to deliver your baby? I am side eyeing that being your reason for not wanting to get the tests. If you don't trust your doctor to do right by you then get a new one.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

All of this!! Go do the test. It's better safe then sorry..it's really not that big of a deal!!

• I totally feel your pain on this!! Read my post about having to take the 3 hr test twice. I definitely did my share of griping and wondering about them making me do that! However, it turned out that I actually did have gestational diabetes. I would recommend that you err on the side of caution and go ahead and take it. A word of advice from what I learned taking it the second time- Bring a pillow (even if you feel silly, you'll thank me later), something to read or do, something to eat right after, and if you can avoid it, don't drive yourself. There's no telling how that crazy test will effect you! Good luck, hun!
  • I don't think I ever said it was a big deal and I believe I said several times I was going to take the test. I was simply questioning it because the number was within the normal range (almost exactly in the middle) and I don't think that a 7 lb weight gain in 4 weeks is a major concern - certainly not in my opinion to think there's an issue with my thyroid. I don't think there's anything wrong with checking with others through the board to see if they would feel the same way or even wanting to know if anyone else's doctors prescribe the same tests when they got a similar # or gained the same amount of weight in that time frame. Try to understand that it's a bit frustrating to constantly have to worry about this and that test every month (and now every other week now that my appointments are more frequent) whenever something isn't absolutely perfect. Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my baby's health.
  • Thanks tinydancer!
  • imagefuturebray:
    a. I believe I said several times I was going to take the test.

b. I was simply questioning it because the number was within the normal range almost exactly in the middle and I don't think that a 7 lb weight gain in 4 weeks is a major concern certainly not in my opinion to think there's an issue with my thyroid.

c. Try to understand that it's a bit frustrating to constantly have to worry about this and that test.

d. Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my baby's health.

A. Actually you said once you most likely will take it. Not you will

B. You're not a Dr so of course in your opinion it's not a big deal.

C. Welcome to pregnancy.

D. Then why are you questioning taking these tests. If your Dr thinks they are needed, she is probably being safe than sorry as well.
              image image

• imageiggles09:
    imagefuturebray:
    a. I believe I said several times I was going to take the test.

b. I was simply questioning it because the number was within the normal range almost exactly in the middle and I don't think that a 7 lb weight gain in 4 weeks is a major concern certainly not in my opinion to think there's an issue with my thyroid.

c. Try to understand that it's a bit frustrating to constantly have to worry about this and that test.

d. Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my baby's health.

A. Actually you said once you most likely will take it. Not you will

B. You're not a Dr so of course in your opinion it's not a big deal.

C. Welcome to pregnancy.

D. Then why are you questioning taking these tests. If your Dr thinks they are needed, she is probably being safe than sorry as well.

Yes OP: you asked and we answered. There is no reason to act like we are somehow attacking you because you didn't get the answers you were hoping for. You questioned your medical professional's recommendations and acted like she was a nefarious cretin out for herself ordering tests that you [with no medical training to make that call btw] somehow deemed "unnecessary".

You got off seriously light for the amount of presumption you displayed.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I do this for a living and if someone told me their 1G50 was in the 80s I would wonder why the doc was ordering a 3hr. Also, a passing 1hr is <139. OP, honestly, isnt totally out in left field here. OP, they only drew you once, right? After the drink? 

Testing thyroid is never a bad idea, but it's not routine around here. 

It's your right to refuse whatever test you dont want, keeping in mind pre-preg labs dont mean squat. If there is a question about your sugar levels, I would DEFINITELY get a second opinion if you dont trust your OBs. 

ETA(again)- I dont know how your office is setup obviously, but our lab is completely separate. It sounds to me like your doc is just a cautious one.

Doctors are not the end-all-be-all. It's not a sign of bad motherhood-to-be if you ~question~ your doc. You can absolutely ask for a second opinion and ask your doc what specifically made her want to do the 3hr. She should explain it well if she has such a specific idea why she wants it done.  It's not like the 3hr is just some little blood test. It sucks. It's worth it if you need it, but I read OP's only hang up is the necessity. Over-treatment can be just as bad as under-treatment. 

• She's absolutely correct about thyroid and it's like a light switch, one day it's on and working then next day no hormones/ it's off. GD not so much... You could offer to do a day or two of glucose monitoring at home as alternative. Test sugars at wakeup and one or two hrs after each meal. That's more accurate way for GD diagnosis anyway....
  • I know my thyroid jumped big time so I understand that one. Not sure about the other one but I understand.  My baby is large and so she is wanting me to get check my blood sugar every day. Even though I have passed all my tests. So I understand.
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

Its not that bad. I'd take the 3 hour, personally. Better safe than sorry. Your number seemed in the middling area. If it were 73 I'd say skip it, but 83 is close enough. Your weight gain may be another indicator that you might have GD.  If your doctor thinks its necessary then I wouldn't fight it too much. Honestly, its better to "prove him wrong" with a negative test than to skip it and put yourself at risk. 

What do you honestly think your doctor gets out of ordering tests? I am asking you to sincerely consider this. I think its ludicrous to assume that your doctor is not acting in your best interest when trying to screen you for two very big things that can affect your health and your pregnancy. Another serious question: If you don't trust your doctor then why are you using them? If you don't trust them to screen you for your own good then what in the world do you think they are out to do trying to deliver your baby? I am side eyeing that being your reason for not wanting to get the tests. If you don't trust your doctor to do right by you then get a new one.   

This.  Doctors don't make money off of lab tests.  And any good doctor would never want you to do unnecessary testing.  And if you don't trust your doctor, if you don't think them to have your best interest in mind, you absolutely should be seeing them.  What are you going to do if there is an emergency and you have to make a decision in a moment based only on your doctors recommendation?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

Its not that bad. I'd take the 3 hour, personally. Better safe than sorry. Your number seemed in the middling area. If it were 73 I'd say skip it, but 83 is close enough. Your weight gain may be another indicator that you might have GD.  If your doctor thinks its necessary then I wouldn't fight it too much. Honestly, its better to "prove him wrong" with a negative test than to skip it and put yourself at risk. 

Yep, Prim says it best. I don't really understand why you would think your doctor is going to "get something out of it".

• I think that if the Dr orders it then for whatever the reason may be - it is necessary. It is always better safe then sorry. If you have questions as to why a test is ordered ask the Dr.

• Soleil3Soleil3 member
    imagethatoneredhead:

I do this for a living and if someone told me their 1G50 was in the 80s I would wonder why the doc was ordering a 3hr. Also, a passing 1hr is <139. OP, honestly, isnt totally out in left field here. OP, they only drew you once, right? After the drink? 

*snip*

I'm wondering if the test is a different one, my number cut off was 135, but she said earlier her cut off was 95 so maybe it's a lesser amount of glucose or something?

image image

• imageSoleil3:
    imagethatoneredhead:

I do this for a living and if someone told me their 1G50 was in the 80s I would wonder why the doc was ordering a 3hr. Also, a passing 1hr is <139. OP, honestly, isnt totally out in left field here. OP, they only drew you once, right? After the drink? 

*snip*

I'm wondering if the test is a different one, my number cut off was 135, but she said earlier her cut off was 95 so maybe it's a lesser amount of glucose or something?

I believe it's standard to not do a fasting draw with the 1hr, so Im wondering if there was some confusion on OPs part about what the cutoff is or if they did do a fasting and that was her fasting number. I was hoping she would answer how many times they drew her blood.

If that was her 1 hour then she passed with flying colors. If it was her fasting, and she doesnt have her actual 1hr results, then she very well could be high. The <100 rule is for fasting results. 

• If this were me, I would definitely do the thyroid screening. That can change crazy fast with pregnancy and I had a friend that had some complications.

I would probably ask the doctor for clarification on what she considers elevated about the GTT. 

To me, it sounds like your doctor is doing her "due diligence"  but I always advocate a patient making sure they have clarification to the point of comfort with any medical procedure.

• imageiggles09:
    imagefuturebray:
    a. I believe I said several times I was going to take the test. b. I was simply questioning it because the number was within the normal range almost exactly in the middle and I don't think that a 7 lb weight gain in 4 weeks is a major concern certainly not in my opinion to think there's an issue with my thyroid. c. Try to understand that it's a bit frustrating to constantly have to worry about this and that test. d. Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my baby's health.
    A. Actually you said once you most likely will take it. Not you will B. You're not a Dr so of course in your opinion it's not a big deal. C. Welcome to pregnancy. D. Then why are you questioning taking these tests. If your Dr thinks they are needed, she is probably being safe than sorry as well.

a. You got me ... I said it once -thanks for keeping tabs post police.

b. just because I'm not a doctor doesn't mean I don't have the right to question what she wants me to do.  

c. Thanks, this is my second pregnancy so I do have a prior experience to compare this one to.

d. Again, it's my right to question whatever I want to. If you passed a test, any test, wouldn't you question why someone wants you to take it over? That doesn't seem strange to you? Sorry for being suspicious/curious.  

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    imageiggles09:
    imagefuturebray:
    a. I believe I said several times I was going to take the test. b. I was simply questioning it because the number was within the normal range almost exactly in the middle and I don't think that a 7 lb weight gain in 4 weeks is a major concern certainly not in my opinion to think there's an issue with my thyroid. c. Try to understand that it's a bit frustrating to constantly have to worry about this and that test. d. Of course I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my baby's health.
    A. Actually you said once you most likely will take it. Not you will B. You're not a Dr so of course in your opinion it's not a big deal. C. Welcome to pregnancy. D. Then why are you questioning taking these tests. If your Dr thinks they are needed, she is probably being safe than sorry as well.
    Yes OP: you asked and we answered. There is no reason to act like we are somehow attacking you because you didn't get the answers you were hoping for. You questioned your medical professional's recommendations and acted like she was a nefarious cretin out for herself ordering tests that you [with no medical training to make that call btw] somehow deemed "unnecessary". You got off seriously light for the amount of presumption you displayed.

I wasn't looking for a particular answer, but you repeating "just go take the test, it's not that big a deal"  and saying i'm "ludicrous" for thinking my doctor, who has a lab within her office, might benefit from the amount of tests she orders, did feel like an attack and something I wanted to respond to. Do you have medical training? Unless you do, who are you to say that it IS necessary? Someone else posted saying that she does this for a living and she would question why the doc would want me to take the test over. Thanks for taking it easy on me, I appreciate it. I'm glad we have pregnancy experts like you to set me straight. 

To everyone else, thanks for your support and for sharing your experiences and advice. That's why I posted to the board.

• Sorry - I also wanted to respond to some other questions:

I know there are different GTT tests but the one I took was a one hour test. I did fast before the test but i was told it wasn't necessary. My blood was drawn before I drank the glucola and then 1 hour after. I spoke to my doctor tis afternoon about why she wanted me to take the test over and why she felt my numbers were elevated since my # was right in he middle of the normal range. She said that she wanted me to do the three hour just to be safe since I am measuring two weeks ahead. She also ordered an u/s to get an idea of how big the baby is. I am totally fine with this explanation and I plan to take the test tomorrow. Even with her explanation I still question her recommendation because if her plan was for me to take the 3 hour regardless of my 1 hour result then why wouldn't you just have me do a three hour to begin with? I also had my thyroid tested and that came back normal - again no big deal to get my blood drawn, but i was curious if other women had concerned OBs if they gained 7+ lbs in a month. 

• imagemsspeedymarie:

OP, I think what people found kind of weird in your post is your implication that your OB doesn't have your best interest in mind, but instead is somehow benefiting from giving you unnecessary tests.

No one would say you shouldn't ask your doctor questions - I think what Prim and some of the others (and me as well) are wondering is, why are you seeing this doctor if you don't trust her? If you really think she'd order unnecessary tests for her own (inexplicable) benefit, rather than to monitor your health, then you have bigger problems than an unnecessary 3-hour glucose test, as others have said repeatedly.

This is the thing you haven't really responded to, choosing instead to get upset because people aren't agreeing with you that you shouldn't have to do the test or assuming that people are saying you shouldn't question your doctor.

Maybe you need to step back and ask yourself if you really trust your doctor, and figure that out before you make a decision about the test.

I can see how my post and responses could come off that way. Maybe it's not my doctor, but the healthcare system in general that I don't trust. I am very thankful that I have excellent insurance but I am also very aware that are many people in this country who have serious medical needs who don't have access to treatment and testing. It just seems very unfair and maybe that's why I'm a bit suspicious. With my first pregnancy I did whatever my OB wanted me to do because I felt that they were the expert and I should trust them. Looking back on the experience I felt that I was pressured into an unnecessary c-section because my doc was impatient. He actually told me it's time to "sh*t or get off the pot" because I wasn't progressing fast enough. I also didn't feel the need to get into this, but my son is also autistic. Any parent of an autistic child thinks about all the things that could have attributed to the diagnosis (in my case - i keep going back to his delivery) so that might be why tend to question things more than others. I know this may seem contradictory because you would then think I'd want them to test me for everything, but I want the most natural birth possible for this baby so I am trying to avoid what i feel to be unnecessary interventions if I can help it.

it wasn't that I wanted everyone to agree with me, but I didn't find it helpful for some to act like I was being over dramatic when all I wanted was to do was vent and see if anyone else had a similar experience. We all need to vent our frustrations from time to time - that's why many of us post - I get irritated when I see the same "know it alls" telling people they are wrong for feeling what they are feeling post after post. 

• If the office has its own lab, they do indeed make money (lots of it) off of lab tests!! At my office you need a 139 or less to pass the 1hr. I wouldn't take the 3. I would be fine with a thyroid test.
    imagemerc5411:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

This.  Doctors don't make money off of lab tests.  And any good doctor would never want you to do unnecessary testing.  And if you don't trust your doctor, if you don't think them to have your best interest in mind, you absolutely should be seeing them.  What are you going to do if there is an emergency and you have to make a decision in a moment based only on your doctors recommendation?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"