3rd Trimester
Options

Will my belly be any smaller right after giving birth?

I know, I know. This is a really strange question, but hear me out because it has nothing to do with appearances.

I had the perfect PJ set picked out to take to the hospital with me. It's a really cozy 2-piece PJ set with a top that buttons up. It had always been way too big on me, so I thought it would be perfect!

I tried it on the other day and the top is just the teensiest bit too small now. I still have 3 weeks 'til my due date. Is there any likelihood that my belly may be a bit smaller after giving birth and I'll be able to wear them, or should I just give in and buy a bigger pair?

Re: Will my belly be any smaller right after giving birth?

• Options
    Some people say there belly is back down to 6 months pregnant when they leave the hospital but others say its the same or they weigh more because of the IV fluids. Tough call but myself i wouldn't count on it.
  • Options

imageIdani:
    It probably will if it's just a bit snug.  Honestly you will feel like you belly is completely gone after giving birth but in fact you will still look about 4 months pregnant right after.  I remember with my first thinking that I was so skinny again when I got home.  Tried on something pre-preg and realized how silly that was.

This made me laugh!  I'm a FTM but I've been told this exact thing by other people.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It will almost definitely be somewhat smaller (assuming no out of the ordinary medical issues).  Yes, your uterus will still be enlarged and things will still be stretched out and lumpy but you won't have a solid little person in there stretching it to the max.  How much smaller you really can't say though.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

i imagine for most people it's smaller, just not pre pregnancy smaller. 

I was in some of my pre pregnancy jeans within days of giving birth, but only the ones that were on the large side to begin with.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You aren't going to have this hard ball anymore so you will most likely feel smaller but things are still going to be a little squishy and larger then pre-pregnancy.  And, if you are going to BF, a top that buttons up may be a PITA(just a thought).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I wore my pre pregnancy jeans home from the hospital. So from my personal experience it was quite a bit smaller. Not completely gone or anything but smaller. I didn't have a person inside me anymore. 

They were my fat jeans to be fair. Lol. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options

imageIdani:
    It probably will if it's just a bit snug.  Honestly you will feel like you belly is completely gone after giving birth but in fact you will still look about 4 months pregnant right after.  I remember with my first thinking that I was so skinny again when I got home.  Tried on something pre-preg and realized how silly that was.

LOL, ditto all this.

I remember feeling like my stomach had a deflated sensation, like it was still there but was all soft and wrinkly.  Sexy huh?? 

• Options

imageRumbleLina:
    You aren't going to have this hard ball anymore so you will most likely feel smaller but things are still going to be a little squishy and larger then pre-pregnancy.  And, if you are going to BF, a top that buttons up may be a PITA(just a thought).

Oh! I thought that the button-top type was supposed to be better for breastfeeding. Is it more difficult?

• Options
    imagetinydancerpammy:

imageRumbleLina:

Oh! I thought that the button-top type was supposed to be better for breastfeeding. Is it more difficult?

I prefer the button ups for this reason. Maybe it's personal preference. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options

I bet it'll fit, especially if you get a belly binder to put on ASAP, which is a good idea anyway. Your belly will be smaller, and squishy. Expect it to be the size of 6-7mo pregnant.

I think the button up should work fine for nursing, assuming you're going to unbutton the top several buttons or have it completely unbuttoned when there are no visitors, for the greatest ease. 

• Options
    imagemeimsx:
    imagetinydancerpammy:

imageRumbleLina:

I prefer the button ups for this reason. Maybe it's personal preference. 

I prefer the button up tops too.

OP I think if it's snug now you'll be able to wear it post baby right away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options
    imagemeimsx:

I wore my pre pregnancy jeans home from the hospital. So from my personal experience it was quite a bit smaller. Not completely gone or anything but smaller. I didn't have a person inside me anymore. 

They were my fat jeans to be fair. Lol. 

I'm not even going to try this.

I have a flowy dress that's mainly red with some other colors running through it, and I plan to wear that home.  If I bleed through it...maybe no one will notice;)  Plus I won't have to worry about stuffing a ginormous pad in my pants!

• Options
    kje120kje120 member
    With DS my belly was significantly smaller right after giving birth.  I know everyone is different, but mine deflated pretty quickly.  I would guess that they'll fit fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Even if your stomach fits, your boobs may not. Last time I walked into the hospital with a small C cup at 41 weeks and left with double Ds. It's insane how much your boobs can grow when your milk comes in!
  • Options
    I am wearing my skinny jeans right now that i bought pre pregnancy (they arent buttoned obviously), so i think it really depends on the person. I didnt really start showing until i was 6 or 7 mths and even then it was a smaller bump. I think you have to look at ur body and figure out where you gained the most weight. If it is all in your belly then you may be good to go. Pack a backup just in case!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes what is a belly bender? And is this something I need to get!? Tell me more!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"