April 2013 Moms
Options

how long do you spend breastfeeding

i know the ounces are what are important but just curious as to how long your little ones are at the breast. both actively eating and just pacifying themselves.

thanks 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how long do you spend breastfeeding

• Options
    Hours and hours and hours. DD3 is not a fan of the pacifier, so I'm it.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    evertzevertz member
    About 20 min/feeding. He doesn't usually hang out long just for passification. We'll give him a passifier between feedings if he's fussy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 6 weeks we are getting close to 30 minutes. 2 weeks ago it seemed never ending. She woul eat for nearly an hour and by the time I got up to pee and eat a snack she was ready to eat again.

• Options
    My six week old must eat really fast. She nurses for somewhere between five and ten minutes every couple hours during the day and normally twice at night. Every fifth time or so she will go about fifteen minutes but she's more suckling than eating. She is gaining weight well and has plenty of pee diapers so I try not to worry.
  • Options
    LO is 4 weeks and spends 9 to 15 mins of effective eating per breast. Amount of time pacifying just depends on how long I let her stay on, but she often falls asleep after the 9 to 15 mins and falls off. She likes pacifiers just fine, so I frequently pop one in.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    SRK128SRK128 member
    A lot! 
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    10-20 mins
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    If I do breast compressions to keep her gulping if she's sleepy then 10 to 15 mins... it can be upwards of 45 to an hr though with suckles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageRachel623:
    My six week old must eat really fast. She nurses for somewhere between five and ten minutes every couple hours during the day and normally twice at night. Every fifth time or so she will go about fifteen minutes but she's more suckling than eating. She is gaining weight well and has plenty of pee diapers so I try not to worry.

My DD is a quick eater too. She's 8 weeks now but has been only nursing for 5 to 10 minutes for at least 4 weeks. At her 6 wk check up she'd gained 3.6 lbs from her birth weight so I guess she's just an efficient eater!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    leasajleasaj member
    imageRachel623:

This sounds like me
  • Options
    KrisM86KrisM86 member
    About 10 minutes per feeding and he eats every 2 to 3 hours during the day and every 2 to 4 hours at night. Occasionally our evening feedings will be more like 20 minutes long.

• Options

i also have an app that tracks...i am also spending this amount of time! ALL WE DO!

also, thank you everyone for you input!

• Options

imagerandomosity:
    At each feeding, about 10 to 15 mins. She nurses every 1 to 3 hours.

this for us, too.  I asked my LC if I should encourage her to go longer and she said a baby can empty the breast in 10 minutes if they're actively sucking so there's no need to go longer. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"