November 2012 Moms

Q for teachers - career change

I have worked in the government for 10 years...but over the next 5 years I have this idea/ goal of becoming a teacher...preferably in high school.

1. I've always considered teaching and am ready for a change

2. I would hope to teach government/ poly sci or something international relations focused.

3. I'd like to have a work schedule that will synchronize with my kid(s?) schedules and give me afternoons and summers home when they're older.

i live in Virginia. Where do I start with this?  I have a masters degree in pol. Science.  I'm thinking with my background private schools or charter might be more interested in me?   Will anyone want a new teacher in her mid to late 30s?  Do I need a masters in education from a big name school or anywhere?  How long will another degree take?

i appreciate ANY advice.... TIA

Me:36, DH:37

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

Re: Q for teachers - career change

• I'm a career switcher, and I teach in WV.  Right now, I'm teaching on a temporary permit for Spanish, which I got from the state because I work in a rural county 30 minutes from home that desperately needs foreign language teachers.  I had a bachelor's in English, a minor in Spanish, and a MA in Writing/Editing.  My goal is to teach English once a position comes open.  With the English and Spanish background, I could get permits in either of those subjects.  To get and renew my permit, I have to be enrolled in a teacher education program and making at least 6 hours of forward progress each year.  At the graduate school near me, my options were a 24 hour post-baccalaureate certification program or a 39 hour Masters of Arts in Teaching.  I chose the MAT because it will get me a higher salary on the scales.

I'd suggest seeing if VA has a career switcher or transition to teaching program, and what the requirements for it are.  Check with your state's department of ed.  You could in theory get hired by a charter school (we don't really have any here) or a private school, but to be honest, even they look more for certified teachers in my experience...  I tried getting into teaching that way when I lived in Columbus, Ohio with no luck.  I wouldn't say you need a master's from anywhere fancy...  The pay scale will be the same no matter what school's name is on the degree.

It will probably take some time and some courses, but if it's what you want to do, it's worth it...  I feel like I've FINALLY found what I am supposed to do (just wish it had taken me fewer student loans to figure it out). 

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Thanks for recommending a career switcher program...I didn't know it existed but i just looked and VA has a pretty extensive program! 

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto the career switcher program, a friend used that with success to get a job as a middle school English teacher.

WRT private schools, I taught geography and history at a private school for a few years before going to grad school.  I got my teaching cert at a a public school and worked as a long term sub in a public school before getting a job at the private school. I far perfered teaching at a private school and if for some reason I ever went back to teaching, that's the only option I would consider. The big con is that the pay is lower and the benefits aren't as good.  But, you would likely get reduced or maybe even free tuition for your kids if that's something your interested in. I know a lot of private schools like "older" teachers bc they tend to stay put longer than "younger" teachers. And they very often hire people without teaching certs.  You might try using an agency that specializes in placing teachers at private schools.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageFigureSkater8:

I have worked in the government for 10 years...but over the next 5 years I have this idea/ goal of becoming a teacher...preferably in high school.

1. I've always considered teaching and am ready for a change

2. I would hope to teach government/ poly sci or something international relations focused.

3. I'd like to have a work schedule that will synchronize with my kid(s?) schedules and give me afternoons and summers home when they're older.

i live in Virginia. Where do I start with this?  I have a masters degree in pol. Science.  I'm thinking with my background private schools or charter might be more interested in me?   Will anyone want a new teacher in her mid to late 30s?  Do I need a masters in education from a big name school or anywhere?  How long will another degree take?

i appreciate ANY advice.... TIA

I can only speak to my experience in education, but with regard to  the luxurious teacher schedule. It isn't as free as it may seem. I could leave school as soon as my required hours were over, but it meant taking a stack of work home with me. I did get more time off during the summer than others, but I would also spend weeks in training and curriculum writing.  I have enjoyed teaching, but I always get annoyed when people assume I have three months off. 

I second what PPs said about a transition program. Another option is an emergency certification. Basically, you get a year to complete an alternative certification program, but you're teaching in a classroom while you do it.

Be cautious about what certification you choose to pursue. I recommend a composite certification because you will be more marketable.  Your M.S. already makes you stand apart. Schools like older, more established teachers, but like them to be young enough to be molded into district expectations and relatable to kids.

Last, but not least, I would look into an alternative certification program like iTeachUS. You may decide to go another route, but you will find a plethora of information available about the certification process. 

• I have taught high school for 10 years and love it.

A couple things to keep in mind...

You want to be as marketable as possible and government/poly sci is pretty specialized. You would likely need a degree in social studies and then endorsements in those specialty areas. In Chicago social studies teachers are a dime a dozen. I've had friends wait years to get social studies jobs. Not sure what the need for them would be by you. Hopefully better.

I am in no way complaining but teacher schedules aren't always as glamourous as they seem. I love my time off but you need to remember that if you teach in a different district than you kids attend school in you may not have the same start date, end date, winter break, spring break etc. Also, teachers have late night parent conferences, sumer training sessions etc. and grading papers/lesson planning after the kiddos are in bed. Again not complaints just realities of the job that some people don't think about.

A bachors degree is usually all most districts are looking for and then once you are established in a District you can go back part time to get a masters degree.

Teaching is awesome but tons of work.

Good luck with the change!
  • Thanks all- very helpful!  I have some thinking to do....

DS born 11/2012

• Not to mention that now a sizable part of your evaluation is based on how the kids do in state testing. Which depending on where you teach can be very challenging. As we know it's not just teachers that determine how well students do.
  • In NJ poli/sci etc is part of the Social Studies cert. Each state has different requirements for coursework to get that. I always stay late so as to not bring work home. You don't get paid for summer of course so budget for that. Good luck!

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"