Parenting after a Loss

If you have a sister or 2+ girls

Mobile: If you have a sister or 2+ girls...

I was excited to know we will be having 2 girls. I had dreams of them being BFF's, sharing clothes, secrets, and be inseparable. It was magical in my head.

Then... a co-worker made a comment about how her children were 2 yrs apart and are very competitive with each other.

So I started thinking the other extreme. What if they are competitive?! What if one is taller/smarter/funnier/skinnier/prettier/whatever-er than the other?! 

What if DD#1 is a rock star student and DD#2 isn't (or vice versa), will they always be compared to each other? Will she go through school and life always being so-and-so's little sister?

So, if you have a sister or have older girls, are they bff's or are they competitive with each other?

My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d

Re: If you have a sister or 2+ girls

• I am an only child but one of my good friends is one of 2 girls who are 3 years apart.  They fought like cats and dogs growing up but starting in young adulthood, they became and have remained the best of friends. 

So you might have a rough patch, but there is the potential for great things down the road.  And you are an awesome momma, so that will help them sort it out.  :)

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• OatoaOatoa member

My brother, sister and I fought all the time when we were young.  I think there is always competition between siblings.  There will always be fighting when kids grow up together.  Its the way many people learn conflict resolution.

I now love and consider my siblings two of my very best friends.

imagephoto BeachAudrey6-23-2013_zps95b514cd.jpgphoto TRCALBadge_zpse0b3d2cb.jpg
    BFP #1 9-22-10 Missed M/c 10-18-10 D&E 10-28-10

BFP #2 5-9-11 EDD 1-12-12 Audrey Rachel born 1-12-12

BFP #3 9-21-13 EDD 5-30-14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have two sisters. One older and one younger. We are absolute best friends, though the youngest and oldest have several years between them and aren't quite as close as I am with each of them. 

Sisters are so special. We fought growing up but we also fought with my brother. I think parenting has a lot to do here with competition. I have never felt jealous or competitive with my sisters and I don't think they have either. We were into our own things so maybe thats why but my parents never made it about that.

I feel so strongly about the importance of having a sister, that I told DH if we have a girl next, I will feel bad she won't have a sister (DH only wants 2).  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • ct103ct103 member
    My sister and I are three years apart and are very close. Our friendship has had it's ups and downs, and we are VERY different personalities. It was kinda tough when we were teens, but who doesn't have a tough time during those years? Now we love each other for those differences, and our parents always nurtured our separate strengths and interests as well. I'm very happy to have a sister, I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have 3 girls, my oldest will be 6 next week, and the twins are almost 6 months :sob:: So far, so good. My oldest daughter is very loving and nurturing towards the twins, but...she and DS are very competitive in regards to the babies. If DS makes them laugh, Addison will go waaaay over the top to make them laugh at her, and vice versa. Thus far, the twins only compete over Wubbanubs and blankets, and seem to take pleasure in "collecting" them!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • First, let me just say.. take all of these responses with a grain of salt.. family dynamics are different in every household, and personalities play a huge part in all of this!

I was so excited to be having 2 kids so close in age.. like you said, I envisioned them becoming best friends (especially moreso after finding out we're expecting another boy!!).. I remember when I told my boss I was pregnant again and how I was so excited to have 2 so close and watch them develop such a wonderful friendship, she chimed in with "My sister and I are 18 months apart and we never got along.  We don't even speak now as adults".

Talk about bubble bursting.. but, again, I took it with a grain of salt.. a LOT of it has to do with how you raise your kids.. and a LOT has to do with each individual's personality.. 

I am the middle child of 3 girls.. my older sister is 5 years older and my younger sister is 6 years younger.  As kids, we fought a lot.  My older sister didn't like having me around because she was "too cool" for me, and I was the annoying little sister.. my youngest sister was just a pain in the rear and my older sister and I often teamed up on her and picked on her.. mean :)  But, as adults.. they are absolutely my best friends.  As is my Mom.  The four of us have SUCH a close relationship.  My younger sister is still maturing in a lot of ways, and that sometimes can be annoying still.. but absolutely treasure the relationship I have with them.

As for competition.. it's interesting.. my older sister was not book smart at all, but she is an incredible painter/artist.. I got the book smarts.. and my youngest.. she's more of a nurturer.. we never "competed" with each other.. we all had our strengths and we all have our weaknesses.. A lot of that is credited to my parents though -- they never compared us.. it was never "why aren't you creative like you sister" or "why can't you get good grades like your sister" etc.. we were all respected for own talents and recognized for such..

And.. my sister has 2 boys.. 2 years apart.. they are almost 6 and 4 now and they are very best friends.. sure they fight on occasion.. but they are also SO sweet with one another and truly do get along really well..

I hope your girls will have the very best relationship in the future!!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • awesnapawesnap member

I do not have a sister or 2 girls. But I do have a brother and I wish he would have been a sister. Lol. 

Honestly I think personalities have more to do with if you will get along or like your sibling, regardless of spacing or gender.

BFP CP 1/12/11 DD born 10/16/11
  • i have 3 sisters!!!!  we are pretty spread out in terms of age... of course we fought as kids but not because of competition.. i know lots of close in age sister and dont know any that are like the way you described.. just let them have their own personalities!
    ~Formerly~AngnShaun~

~~Transferred 2 Perfect Embryos 5/28 - BFP 6/4~~ HAILEY ELIZABETH ~2/16/13~ 6:39am ~ 6lbs 2oz ~ 20" long ~ 1 Year ~ 20lbs 14oz ~ 29.25"~
    ~10.10 Ectopic, 4.11 Nat m/c 9w, 8.11, 1.12, 3.12 CPs~

Follow Me on Pinterest

Angela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (100-in-2012 shelf)
    imageimage

• jobiannjobiann member
    There is 9 years between my nearest sister and I (I have four sisters). My brother is 7 years older then me. So I felt almost like an only child. All my sisters loved me and spoiled me rotten except my nearest aged sister...she was jealous of me so she was pretty mean to me until I hit 15. My nieces are 13 and 10...they are BFF's, they fight sometimes but not usually and are not really competitive with each other. They are very different but also very similar.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"