Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Mesh chewer?

So I have seen in the stores that mesh chew thing.....where you put food into it and LO can chew on it. FTM here. What exactly do you do with it? What do you put in it? Do you have one, and what do you think of it? And when would you give it to your LO anyway? Hope this isn't a stupid question, I have just never seen anyone use it, but see them in the stores. TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mesh chewer?

• I've been looking into baby led weaning and they talk about using those for some foods like the pp said. I like the idea of using it for ice too... I plan on getting one to try in a month or two when I start introducing solids. 
  • I used one for DD1, and I like them a lot. I put peaches, banana...basically anything that can turn to mush in it just to let her chew away. I like the ice idea PP said for teething. They are really messy though, so if that's not your thing I would avoid them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lkm2006lkm2006 member
    DS1 loved watermelons in it!!

• It opens at the base of the mesh part. We did frozen fruits in it with DD.
  • imagekbruington:
    I put ice cubes in it to help with teething pain now but when DS was younger I'd put bananas, grapes, apples or any other fruit that he could suck the juices out of. It's messy but he loved it and it did really help with teething. They suck to clean but otherwise I really like them.

This exactly. DD gets soo excited when I get ice now.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • imageLindsayB523:
    I've been looking into baby led weaning and they talk about using those for some foods like the pp said. I like the idea of using it for ice too... I plan on getting one to try in a month or two when I start introducing solids. 

Have you read the BLW book? Cuz they specifically tell you not to use mesh feeders. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, I have not read the BLW book. I don't think we were planning to BLW. But I am interested, what is the reason they tell you not to use them?
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imageBabyHope2013:
    Thanks, I have not read the BLW book. I don't think we were planning to BLW. But I am interested, what is the reason they tell you not to use them?

Because it's a toy. The whole point of BLW is have them freely explore food and learn the different tastes and textures. Mesh feeders were designed for puree feeders who wanted to give some solids younger. It doesn't properly teach them to chew up their food and turns everything into the same texture.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • a13049a13049 member
    These are great with frozen fruits when LO is teething. It's soothing like pp mentioned and also great tasting.

• I make purees for DD and freeze them in ice cube trays when I make a big batch.  I'll cut one of the cubes in half, put it in the mesh thingy and let her gum that.  It's messy, but she loves it and it's food she's eating anyway, just frozen!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"