November 2012 Moms

Daycare Commute

Just wanted to get your opinion on something.  I live right outside Hoboken, NJ (can't afford Hoboken! Even though I grew up there).  Anywho, the daycares in Hoboken are VEERRY $$$$ and the town I live in, I have no recommendations and the ones I've seen just aren't too appealing.  I saw one yesterday that I  LOVED in the town DH works in, which is 15 min from my work, and it would take about 20 minutes from home each way. Maybe an additional five minutes with traffic if DH doesn't leave by 730 am.  He would do the drop off and I would pick up.  My MIL thought it was "far" for the baby to be driven. WTF?!  I don't want to go with a random one...this place came recommended and turns out the owner and I are the same age and know some of the same people!! She grew up in the town I live in now. SMALL world! Anyway that made me feel even more comfortable.  She was so enthusiastic and I just got that good feeling. Thoughts? I saw another one that was fine and closer but was much bigger (I like that the other one was smaller) and the director seemed like she was bored/half asleep during the tour.

Re: Daycare Commute

• Thank you!!!!
  • MaebbMaebb member
    I live in ATL, which is a big commuter city. I think I've heard that the average commute to work here is 20 miles each way. So that might sway my answer. But...

I think your comfort level is the most important thing. My babysitter is about 15 miles from our house. It's on my way to work, but not DH's. So just think about how you'll manage it if DH stays home sick and you have to take LO in the morning, or if LO gets sick during the day and you have to go pick up LO because DH is unavailable. For example, DH and I are closing on a house Tuesday, so I'm not driving to work, but we still have to drive out of the way to take LO to the babysitter's. For me, the extra driving is worth it because I feel good about where I'm taking him, and I trust her to take good care of him. Check the hours of the place because if you get caught in traffic or something, what happens if you're late picking up LO? But I would say to go for it if you feel good about the place, and then maybe you can reevaluate in a year if you need to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"