1st Trimester

Worried dad to be....

Hey guys, my wife and I found out a little over 2 weeks ago that she is pregnant. After seeing the doctor and having blood tests we found out that my wife has low progesterone...very low. She was immediately put on suppositories and a week later she went in again.

The Doctor did an u/s and confirmed the baby was growing in the uterus and that the baby has a healthy heart beat. Also the HGC levels were rising well. All good news.

I must say that my wife loves her doctor she also helped with a friend who had a hard time getting pregnant and is now awaiting no.2 and I am sure I am overreacting but the doctor now doesn't want to see us for 3 weeks and said that she doesn't want us worrying about the numbers and to just concentrate on enjoying the pregnancy.

I've read a lot of stories about progesterone good and bad and it worries me that we aren't being seen for 3 weeks. My wife is fine with it, which is great as she isn't in any stress but I'm not so sure. Any opinions out there? Do you think I am overreacting? Sorry if this is a bit long, never been on here before. Thanks.

Re: Worried dad to be....

• It's always nice to get reassurance, but it seems like they're doing everything they can to help her carry the baby. Having a healthy heartbeat and good numbers is a really good sign! Being seen in three weeks sounds normal. I'm sorry you guys have had a scary pregnancy so far, but I think the doctor is right and you should try to enjoy the pregnancy! I know it's hard when you're just waiting, but for now, you guys have a healthy baby growing and focusing on the positives...a good heartbeat and amazing medicine that can help support your wife's pregnancy...is important to help you not go crazy! Waiting between the appts is hard even in easy pregnancies, but try to keep busy! It makes the wait shorter.

• First, congratulations!

I think I would take the doctor's advice and try to relax and enjoy. It sounds like things are going great with rising HCG levels and a healthy heartbeat. If you and your wife feel comfortable with your doctor then I would take his advice.

As for 3 weeks in between appointments, absolutely ok based on both of my pregnancies. Once the initial ultrasound is done to see the heartbeat and determine fetal growth/due date, then appointments are scheduled every 4-6 weeks in a healthy pregnancy. Once you hit the 36-38 week mark (depending on the OB), you'll go in every week.

So again, try to enjoy :) Your wife will only be pregnant for 40 weeks and you'll miss it! It's a wonderful time.

Best of luck.

• Loading the player...
  • whualanwhualan member
    Thank you so much for your reply and kind words. I'll try to take it all in and relax a little :
  • We are in the same boat! I had a miscarriage last year and when we found out we were pregnant the nerves set in. I too had low progesterone and was put on the suppositories at 5 weeks. I took them until 4 days ago at 11 weeks. I have to wait until June 10 for our next appointment which is 4 weeks since our last so I understand the wait. With my first pregnancy I went twice a week, and sadly we lost our little one so waiting for me is a good sign that the doctor sees everything going good.
  • GTown08GTown08 member
    You may also want to check out the Dads and Dads-to-Be board.  There are some pretty cool guys over there who can maybe relate to what you are going through.  And having a supportive community is good in times like these.
    http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_bird2&T=t_b11&D=20131129&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Teddy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green
  • Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    First off, congrats ! The wait between appts is totally normal. With taking the suppositories, checking her progesterone level is not needed. They will work fine. I was on PIO (progesterone injections) with #1 & the suppositories with #2.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"