High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Intro and a question

Hi! I have never posted here so I will introduce myself. I am pregnan with my third child, first was a boy, second ended in a mc, and now I have a sweet baby girl due in August. I also have GD which I had with my son who is now 4. I am going to a different doctors office than with my son so I am being referred to a different diabetes clinic. I am a bit frustrated by what they are telling me and I wonder if they are too strict and a bit extreme. I do want to say that I will do what is best for my dd but I also dont want to freak out every time I eat and worry that if my sugar is off by one point that they are going to fuss at me and put me on insulin.

Here is my question:

For those that have GD what have you been told your blood sugar should be when you wake up?

Four years ago with my son I was told anything under 100 was great. Now they are saying it has to be under 90. In the last week I have had 2 readings over 90 (92 & 94). The diabetes center called me today to say they were concerned about those numbers not enough yet to refer me for medicine but that I was getting close to that point. I feel that this is extreme to call and make me worry about it because its only a few points and only twice.

So what has your doctor said and do you feel like the diabetes center you go to is extreme? I have thought about not sending my readings to them and just dealing with it with my OB doctor unless him and I feel I am having problems with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Intro and a question

• Options
    My fasting number is suppose to be under 90. I have found some OBs and diabetic management centers are more strict than others. I looked into all the published guidelines for GD after I was diagnosed and the consensus was a fasting number between 90 and 95 depending on the publication.

That being said, my OB office is a little more laid back. My OB told me they don't worry until the fasting is over 95 and don't consider medication until it is consistently over 95. I think a lot of other GD mamas on this board would not hear the same advice.

I personally would not be concerned over 2 high numbers. That is a bit overboard.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 6/29/12 - M/C 7/23/12. BFP#3 10/26/2012 - EDD 7/09/2012 - U/S 11/20 with HB of 156, U/S 11/27 with HB 180!
  • Options
    The recommendations have changed in the last four years since you had your first child and have gotten tighter for the most part. I was told 95 and under with my first (almost 4 years ago) and with #2 it was 90 & under.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"