Baby Showers

Having kids at a baby shower. Yes/No?

I am 7 months pregnant and my baby shower is still getting planned. Don't ask me how.... I am having a safari themed shower and we are doing a chocolate fountain. I am trying to decide if I should do it with kids or without? Some people have children that would stick there fingers in the fountain and rub their fingers all over my decorations. I have had several birthdays were the kids would come and open my presents for me. I am so scared of putting thought and time into this and the children thinking decorations are toys. This is stressing me out and I really want opinions.

Please help!

Re: Having kids at a baby shower. Yes/No?

• Put the chocolate fountain up on the counter where little hands can't reach it.

But, If it stresses you out that much then ask your host to make sure kids aren't invited. Talk with whoever is hosting it to see what they think.

Kids are messy but, hopefully their parents can keep them under control for a couple hours.
  • I'm only 21 and this is my first. Most of the people coming are my moms friends and they each have atleast 2 kids apiece and they are all 4 and younger. I wrote down about 20 kids would be there. I have known these kids and parents forever and they just let them roam. For example I went to a birthday party yesterday with my mom and one of the little boys ran up and smacked my stomach and then smeared cake on me on purpose. The parent didn't discipline or nothing.
  • Loading the player...
  • what does your host think? That is the most important. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • I see showers as adult events. And especially with our description I would not include kids. 20 ill behaved kids? Hell no. It'll be miserable for the people who came to celebrate YOU.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Suggest no children to your host and see if they agree.  Ultimately, it is their decision though, but I think you have some pretty valid concerns given previous behavior by these kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mmm50mmm50 member
    My family's "kid rule"  for showers is that if they can be left at home, they should be.  So unless it is a tiny baby that is still breastfeeding all the time or something- they should be at home IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:

Honestly, I don't think children belong at events like baby or wedding showers.  And many don't belong at weddings.  They are long and boring for kids, and too many parents seem to go to these events and think that everyone else will babysit their kids for them.

If you are worried about the kids running amok and wrecking your shower, then don't allow them to be a part of it.  It really is that simple.  (FWIW, DH and I simply said "no kids" when people asked about our wedding.  Only one person gave us a hard time about it, and wound up not coming because she had no one to watch the kid.)

I agree 100% with the bolded.

• I would make it adults only. Talk to your host about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Based on some wording in her OP, she is the host. Huh?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • image2013mommy:

imageEastCoastBride:
    I see showers as adult events. And especially with our description I would not include kids. 20 ill behaved kids? Hell no. It'll be miserable for the people who came to celebrate YOU.

This. Honestly, if the hostess won't respect your wish for no kids I'd just decline the shower because 20 kids at a baby shower is pretty ridiculous. 

All of this. It's not worth the aggravation. 20 kids seems crazy. I don't mind if there are a few kids, especially real little ones, but 20? Yikes. That sounds more like a kids birthday party than a shower.  

• jeb2013jeb2013 member
    I think it's cute when kids come to showers. Not all moms tho want to bring their kids they look at it as a day away! But I invited babies and kids to my shower. P.s. your going to have a child of your own in a few months their dirty hands will be all over everything!!! They r just decorations you will live!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jobiannjobiann member

It sounds like the OP is planning her own shower...which I won't even comment on.

In my circle its normal for kids to be a wedding/baby showers...but they are pretty casual.  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I know I am gonna get flamed here, but I don't think that children belong at baby showers.  This is a time for your friends and family to celebrate your baby and people can't really do this chasing after kids and all.  I think people need to be respectful and not bring them unless they ask the hostess.  Then she could politely say that they ask not to bring kids.
  • 20 kids?! Hell no.

I would only invite mothers and newborns.

Really, ds is very good but showers are a good time for him to hang with his dad so I can catch up with girlfriends. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment.
  • it depends where i was having it. im having my baby shower at a park and theres a children's play area close by so i dont care how many kids are coming. i have no close relative and friends where i live now and everyone who is attending are from my bfs side and they all pretty much have kids. im thinking there are going to be 20+ kids there lol. 

my bf asked if we should get a bounce house for the kids. i put my foot down and said no. this is a baby shower not a kids b day party. when i was a kid i would just play with the other kids during adult event. im sure the kids will survive for 3 hrs without a bounce house lol 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemsspeedymarie:

imagejeb2013:
    I think it's cute when kids come to showers. Not all moms tho want to bring their kids they look at it as a day away! But I invited babies and kids to my shower. P.s. your going to have a child of your own in a few months their dirty hands will be all over everything!!! They r just decorations you will live!

Did you read the part about how her friends don't watch or discipline their kids? I would not want 20 of those at ANY party.

Why is it just because someone has children, their lives now have to be dominated by children, and their children have to go everywhere they go? Sometimes adults might enjoy a few hours with other adults, sans kids, and that is okay.

Not all parties are child-friendly. Its okay to have one that isn't.

With all due respect, I don't agree with the logic, "you're kids are going to be messes in the future, so in the meantime, mine will wreck your stuff as a warm up!" Yes, that's an extreme, but it seems like the "get used to it now" idea stems from that reasoning.

I agree that some functions are for kids families, and some are adult only. Lap babies are fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"