Natural Birth
Options

Introduction and "method" question

Hello all =) 

This is my first time here, I'm 20 weeks and really hoping for a completely natural childbirth. I've decided I want to go natural because I am notoriously sensitive and have had extreme reactions to all kinds of different medications, and while everyone tells me "no one" has a bad reaction to epidurals, I don't want to be that one exception, and be incoherent or worse when I get to hold my baby for the first time.

I'm registering for all of my classes, and am wondering if you ladies think it's necessary or better to try to follow a method, like the Bradley method, or to just go for it. My hospital/medical group doesn't offer a natural childbirth class, but they do have an "active labor" class.

I am open to all suggestions, can you let me know if you used a certain method or took a certain class, and if that worked for you?  Thanks so much! 

Re: Introduction and "method" question

• Options

I recommend some sort of natural childbirth education, where you learn about the process of childbirth to know the variations of normal and how to cope. Going for natural childbirth (in a hospital especially) with no education about what to expect is setting up for "failure" in my opinion (failure meaning accepting interventions when you really didn't desire that at the start).

We did bradley and like it.  It educated me about birth, and I am also a birth story junkie during pregnancy and I just soaked up story after story and got very good exposure of the various ways natural childbirth can be achieved.   We took the class and appreciate it, and it was a good way for DH to learn and ask questions. The book, Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way, is a great resource, as is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

• Options

I think preparation is key for most women to have a med-free birth.

I preferred to hire a doula and do a lot of reading on my own. DH and I just weren't interested in the time commitment and philosophy of Bradley so we went another way.  It went really well last time, so that's what we're doing again this time.

Look into the various kinds of classes and other options and do what appeals most to you. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We did the Bradley method and loved it.  We chose it because it go H involved and taught him how to be a great coach.  It also educated him on childbirth as he is not the type to read childbirth books in his free time.  IMO a support person is vital to having a successful med free birth.  Labor is an emotional, painful, intense process.  Someone to support you (either verbally, physically, or emotionally) is a huge help and makes a huge difference during labor. I attribute my wonderful natural birth to my H and my doula.  I could not have done it without them.

I am not a huge supporter of just going for a natural birth.  The women I have known IRL who wanted a natural birth but did not prepare (read books, take classes, have a doula) did not get the births they wanted.  A natural birth is hard work and a huge part of that is being prepared and educated.  You do not necessarily have to take a birth class but you should read up on natural birth (Ina Mays books are excellent).  Birth is a completely different experience and you have to be prepared for it.  GL!

• Options

I know a woman who had a terrible spinal headache after her epidural and had to lay flat on her back in a dark room for a week after her daughter was born. I hate it when people try to downplay risks to medical interventions. If you educate yourself and still choose them - more power to you. Natural birth is not for everyone. But take the time to learn about what is going to happen!

That being said, I think if you do go natural, you should prepare. You wouldn't go out and run a marathon without logging some miles first! We chose Bradley because it really focuses on the partner assisting with childbirth, and DH wanted to be very involved (no doula for us). I would really like to take a hynobabies class next time around, though - I loved the Bradley class, but in the end the relaxation techniques weren't that effective for me during transition.

January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Options
    I loved our Hypnobabies class. I feel so confident and ready. So does my husband. This class really prepared us well. We also hired a doula. Now we are just eagerly awaiting our little girl's arrival.

• Options
    Although I'm still at least a couple days away from being able to say whether it worked, I love the home study hypnobabies CDs and program. Going to class every week wasn't feasible for me and DH, but I really have enjoyed the relaxation and hypnosis techniques in the program, and I figure, although I have no expectations of really having a "pain free" experience, I certainly feel much better prepared for the timing, and how to help my body relax so the baby can come out when she's ready. Good luck!

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• Options
    If you want to have a natural birth I think taking a class that focuses on that will be highly valuable. We took the Marie Mongan hypnobirthing method before my vbac and it was awesome. Do some research and see which one feels right for you- it is a personal fit sort of thing. High recommendations for hypnobirthing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"