December 2012 Moms

Thunderstorms

What do your kiddos think of them. We have only had a few so far and DD is firmly in the WTF is going on make it stop camp. I just hold her tight and try to get her to calm down. Anything you guys do to help your LO through the storms? 
 image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thunderstorms

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    Since birth I always played a sound spa of storms so they are use to it. Plus we are in rural flat farm area and normally get storms with 70 mph winds. So they just sleep on through, at daycare they were the only ones that did. Now with my toddlers, my DH lets them on the porch with him if there isn't lightning so they can appreciate them.
  • Loading the player...
  • aander6aander6 member
    Okay, well hopefully with summer and as we have more storms she will start to get use to them. Thanks ladies!
     image image
  • CellisCellis member

imageaander6:
    Okay, well hopefully with summer and as we have more storms she will start to get use to them. Thanks ladies!

I hope she does! So far they haven't bothered DS. I'm usually panicking that the thunder is going to wake him up, but I think the noise maker helps drown out the sound a little bit. He's only been awake for one storm and we played to distract him from it. Plus he loves watching the weather on the news, I think it's all of the colors. I just hope the power doesn't go out, then no noise maker and no AC (Texas heat is awful!)...that would be a long night! 

Also, your DD is adorable! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • imageCellis:

I just hope the power doesn't go out, then no noise maker and no AC (Texas heat is awful!)...that would be a long night! 

Oh my gosh, this is my biggest summer fear!  I think she'd end up in bed with us if the power went out... no sound machine, no ceiling fan, no AC.  Yikes. 

• CellisCellis member
    imagekjsmith9:
    imageCellis:

I just hope the power doesn't go out, then no noise maker and no AC (Texas heat is awful!)...that would be a long night! 

Oh my gosh, this is my biggest summer fear!  I think she'd end up in bed with us if the power went out... no sound machine, no ceiling fan, no AC.  Yikes. 

Me too! Our electricity use to go out during weak storms and sometimes with just wind. So I have been fearful of that happening again this summer. Our AC went out in April when we had our first kind of hot day. It was 90 in DS's room. The AC repairman came out that night and didn't finish until after midnight. That night was rough and we still had fans. So, yeah, I'm dreading the power going out haha.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • We haven't had what I would consider a "good" thunderstorm yet...we've had a few peels of thunder here and there and DD hasn't seemed to even notice anything, but it's always been during the day so we'll see what the first one at night does.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    With regards to loosing power, my kids never noticed because the storm outside was similar to their sound spa of a storm but probably a but quiter.
  • My LO has slept through most thunderstorms here in Oklahoma, except for the one that brought 70 mph winds with it and then he only stirred a little. He also did surprisingly well when we had to get in the tornado shelter and the hail was pounding the garage door above us.
  • imageaander6:
    What do your kiddos think of them. We have only had a few so far and DD is firmly in the WTF is going on make it stop camp. I just hold her tight and try to get her to calm down. Anything you guys do to help your LO through the storms? 

I think a HUGE thing here is how you react. They will look to you to know how they should perceive a possible danger. I can tell you something funny I've learned about my LO. I usually always hold my sneezes but lately I haven't been. The first few times I sneezed out loud it scared the hell out of her and her little lip would go out and she'd lose it. I'd hold her and do the whole "oh!!! I'm so sorry sweetie, mommy didn't mean to scare you!! I'm sorry!!" and she'd sob a little longer like the world just ended. I felt so horrible. BUT I've learned that if I just hold her and say in a not so whiny voice " It's ok honey, I'm sorry" and leave it at that she doesn't continue to cry.

I hope she gets used to them soon and I'm sure you'll be able to help her. Smile

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09

• Speaking of loud booms, DH is watching the end of James Bond, has LO in his arms as he is exercising and she is fast asleep.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesarahrusty:
    My LO has slept through most thunderstorms here in Oklahoma, except for the one that brought 70 mph winds with it and then he only stirred a little. He also did surprisingly well when we had to get in the tornado shelter and the hail was pounding the garage door above us.

Good to hear from you; was wondering about your status after last weeks news of tornado damage
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • jsoubeljsoubel member
    We play white noise in DD's room not thunderstorm sounds and I think that helps drown out the noise. she sleeps right through the thunder and lightening. Maybe try a noise machine in the nursery

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"