Multiples

In Laws and Car Seat Question

My mother-in-law watches the twins at my house - and sometimes at her house.  She drives them back and forth.  The car seats she has are cheapy junky ones - so DH and I are going to buy her a new set for her car.  We have Britax Boulevards in my car and while I LOVE the, I don't know that we will get our money's worth out of them being they are not for our primary vehicle and the fact that they are already almost 2 1/2.  So, any recommendations for a good car seat that would work for a second vehicle?  What about the Britax Roundabout?  I have read good and bad reviews for it...if I have to we will spend the extra money - I am not going to put a price tag on my babies' safety...
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In Laws and Car Seat Question

• Try Graco MyWays. They get good reviews on the seat forum blog, less but still lots of features. A little bulky but would certainly work for a second seat. I have evenflo triumphs for our travel seats, very no frills but has all the safety features I wanted and lightweight for carrying through the airport! Price doesn't necessarily equal safety, and often means things like more plush padding or strap covers or whatever.
  • I guess I am curious as to what you consider to be "cheapy, junky" car seats? Any car seat sold has to meet certain standards for crash protection. As PP indicated, extra $$ does not always equal extra safety. I'm sure those people who choose not to (or simply cannot afford to) spend $300 on a car seat are not "putting a price tag" on their child's safety.

I'm sorry, but the way you've worded your post just comes across as very elitist to me.

I checked the ratings on Consumer Reports when I was evaluating our options. We share drop-off and pick up, so we need 4 seats total. As far as crash protection goes, there are only 2 convertible seats rated excellent and they are both less than $150. All the others are rated very good. The differences come in the way they fit to the vehicle and how easily they install. And of course, the bells and whistles (which are not part of the CR ratings). All that said, we chose Graco My Rides for when we move out of the infant seats.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess what I meant was that they were very inexpensive and she is constantly having to undo and untwist the straps, not really any padding, and just overeall look cheap.  I understand that they all have to meet certain regulations, just wish they were better quality.  I can't remember which ones they were off the top of my head....I am going to check out the ones mentioned above.  Thanks!  I guess I am just used to Britax because that is what we have in both my suburban and DH's truck, that's why I was looking at the Britax Roundabout. 
  • Sorry, didn't by any means mean to come across as "elitist" - I was just in a hurry as I am at work and trying to figure out which ones to get.  I apologize, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings...
  • I am just a dirty lurker, but I just bought a new seat for my tiny 3 yo.  At this age (2.5-3), I would look at height of a seat vs the weight limits.  Britax is notorious for having a short shell and therefore kids grow out of it by height over weight.

I bought a Graco Nautalis for my DD.  I like that she can be in a 5 point until she is 53" which is about age 6-7 (I have a 7 yo), then it turns into a high back and then low back booster.  There are other seats on the market like this that also move to a booster when they reach the height limits.  I know this seat is preferred among Moms in our MOMS Club chapter.

GL!

• Thanks everyone - I went ahead and ordered her Graco My Rides - good reviews, and much cheaper than the Britax ones!  Thanks for all the help!
  • Ordered them on Amazon using Prime shipping.  I found out why she needed them so quickly - she couldn't get DD out of her carseat the other day (not sure why, she said the metal piece that clicks in got stuck) so she had to actually cut the strap to get her out...but thank goodness for Amazon Prime - they will be here Thursday, until then she will take DH's truck if she has to leave!  We don't live near any large cities to just go and pick two up today. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"