Natural Birth

Favorite Birth plan templates?

Figured you gals would be the ones to know!

I didn't do a birth plan with DD, but it was an induction with an epi. Hoping to go natural this time, and DH asked me if I could make him some bullet points to remember from all the things I've been discussing with him while reading a few books. Just reminders about things he can suggest, offer, etc, things to tell the nurses, etc. I'm not one to go in and shove a 20 page document at my OB, he's fabulous and will give me whatever I ask for. But I thought a birth plan would be a great way to give DH an outline of my hopes/expectations? 

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Favorite Birth plan templates?

• I didn't really use an outline but I did use a resume template. I had my name and some info at the top, a message below that was kind of our mission statement, and then a bunch of topics with bullet points. I had a birthing environment and first stage topic, a second stage topic, and a third stage and baby care topic. I also typed up a second page with c section stuff that I didn't give to them. I would have pulled it out if a c section had been necessary.

Overall I think it's important to keep it as short and sweet as possible. The shorter it is the more likely everyone is to read it and remember your wishes. Also, try to use language that is assertive but not aggressive or negative. For example instead of saying "I do not want you to direct pushing" I would say "I would like to direct pushing myself." I tried to avoid words like "if necessary" or "if possible" because what's "necessary" might be different from person to person and I didn't want to give anyone an our by using the word "possible" . For example, instead of saying "I only want the baby to have formula if it is necessary", I would say, "Please do not give the baby formula", because if they do think formula is necessary I want them to have a conversation with me about it and we can decide if it's really necessary together. I hope that makes sense.

I also left off anything that I knew for sure was hospital policy like delayed cord clamping and intermittent fetal monitoring because I knew that was standard care so there was no need to fill up the plan with things I knew would or wouldn't happen anyway.

If you are really unsure there are tons of birth plan examples on the Internet. I looked at many when I created my own plan. I'm sure people on here would be happy to share theirs.

Edit: oops. I just re read your op and noticed it's just for your H. Sorry about the long post that didn't even answer your question. If I was making one for DH only I wouldn't bother with a full on birth plan. I would just type him up a list.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • https://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/free-birth-plan

I did this one (it was more bullet point-ish, IIRC). I ended up not needing it, but I was glad I had done it (it made me think about things that I wouldn't have thought of before).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a hospital birth with a midwife. I just printed out a word document - a short paragraph about my goals and then about a half page in bullet/sub-bullet format. I've copied it below (sorry if the formatting doesn't work well from the copy/paste). I also had a couple bullets at the bottom for after birth - basically that I want to breastfeed and we did not want HepB at the hospital.

I would like to aim for a medication and intervention free birth.  If interventions are needed and time/urgency permits, I would like to attempt more natural alternatives (e.g., breast pump instead of pitocin for induction) or discuss the benefits and consequences of delaying the intervention.

For birth, my wishes are:

I do not want to be offered pain medication.

I would like to be able to move around and change positions during labor.

I would like a Hep lock instead of an IV.

I would like intermittent monitoring instead of continuous monitoring.

I do not want an episiotomy (would prefer a natural tear).

We would like to delay cord clamping/cutting for 3-5 min after birth (if the situation allows).

I would like my son to be immediately placed on my chest and to delay newborn procedures for 1 hour (if the situation allows).

I do not want to receive a Pitocin shot for the delivery of the placenta unless there is a problem with my uterus clamping down. 

imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for posting these. I would be interested to see other bullet point wishes as well from the natural birth topic ladies!
  • I would urge you to give a copy to your doctor as well. All the better if you think he's on board - it's just a good way to talk through your desires in advance.

This is mine:

1. If I go past my due date and baby and I are doing fine, I prefer to go into labour naturally rather than be induced. If induction becomes necessary, I would prefer to try natural induction methods or having my membranes stripped.

2. I prefer to have internal exams conducted by the same person each time (as shift changes allow).

3. We would like the absolute minimum of time attached to monitoring. I would like to be monitored using a Doppler as much as possible.

4. Please offer me pain medications only if I ask for them.

5. During labor, we would like the ability to:

• walk freely,

• use the shower and labor tub,

• change positions throughout,

• have access to clear liquids,

• have a quiet and encouraging environment, and

• avoid an IV, if possible I would like a saline lock instead in case it is needed.

• If I can feel the urge to push, I would like to push at my own pace (Mother-Directed Pushing).

• I prefer not to have an episiotomy, but would rather tear.

• If labor or delivery seems stalled, we would like the opportunity to try different positions (hands and knees, squatting, birth ball, etc.)

• I would like to push in the position I find most comfortable. No stirrups please unless I?m having a medical emergency or I ask for them.If possible please allow the shoulders and body of my baby to be born spontaneously, on their own.

• We would like to not have the cord cut right away; we would like it to pulse for at least 2 minutes.

• We would like the baby to be placed on the mother's chest immediately after birth in order to "bond" and nurse. We would like to have as much time with our baby as we choose before baby is taken for routine procedures.

• If the baby is cold and Mom is unavailable, please ask Dad to do kangaroo care.

• If a C-Section is not an emergency, please give us time alone to think about it before asking for our written consent.

•  

• I had just typed it up in Word with bullet points, and kept it to one page, being as concise as I can be.  You could do an actual birth plan for the nurses & OB and have DH review it.
  • When it came to my DH, he was totally on board with natural birth and was very supportive. The most important plan we had together not written in my actual birth plan was that we had a code word that meant I was seriously considering drugs. This allowed me to talk crazy during my two hour transition without stressing him out. Otherwise, hearing me say "i can't do this. I want to be done." Might have been hard for him to ignore.
  • This discussion has been closed.
    Choose Another Board
    Search Boards
    "
    "