September 2013 Moms

What are the odds of baby being the opposite gender?

I'm just wondering if there's any STM's who were told girl and your baby ended up being a boy? The reason I ask is that I have someone on my Facebook that found out the day their baby was born that he was a boy! The poor couple had to get rid of everything pink and change the nursery last minute! How difficult this must be.. All the last minute boy shopping and painting! I haven't decorated my nursery yet but I'm almost having second thoughts about anything too girly.. Are the odds of this happening slim to none?

Re: What are the odds of baby being the opposite gender?

• I posted something similar to this after my anatomy scan. The tech told us that they only say they are 90 sure it's a girl because there is a chance that they miss something. With a boy, it's 100. I'm hoping my odds are good enough that we're ok to decorate everything girly. I may do an elective 3D/4D scan, so hopefully they can confirm it then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's 90 percent. Mobile took out my percentage sign.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know what the odds are but I'm such a planner that I've kind of been freaking about this too. Don't get me wrong, in no way would I be "upset" about it being boy at the last minute, it would just be a tricky change!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm not concerned because I have so many pictures where you can clearly see her labia. That being said, if I didn't get so many u/s I'd probably not go too girly
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • It hasn't happened to me yet..... This is my 4th and we were told she is definetly a she. Luckily my doctor wants a 4d scan in a few weeks and we wil find out for sure.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • It did happen the opposite way to a girl I went to hs with. She was told boy and she has a girl
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I had a 20-week ultrasound and I asked the tech to write down the gender (my DH couldn't make it and I didn't want to find out without him. We opened the note together, and the note said "It's a girl! 85-90 percent sure." As it happens, I had to go back 2 weeks later to have a follow-up ultrasound... We had a different tech and we asked him what he thought it was... He pointed and we saw, clear as day, THE package... He, and we, are 99.9% sure it's a boy!!!   (FTM) 

• I had 2 ultrasounds with different techs and both said girl so I'm gonna hope she stays a she and I won't have extra shopping and returning and repainting to so lol, but the odds to seem a little iffy to me! I would be just as happy if baby does end up being a boy but the stress would not be fun! Thanks for the replies everyone ill be sure to ask the tech at my next ultrasound to check and confirm a third time.. That is if I'm getting another ultrasound.. Not too sure?
  • I don't think it's common, but I don't get the whole running out to buy everything boy and repainting ASAP. 1 the baby won't know the difference for a long time, and 2 there's nothing wrong with using a flowered blanket or something for LO at home.

If this baby girls ends up a boy, he better like pink sheets! :mobile smiley:

• imageJuliebird8307:
    I posted something similar to this after my anatomy scan. The tech told us that they only say they are 90 sure it's a girl because there is a chance that they miss something. With a boy, it's 100. I'm hoping my odds are good enough that we're ok to decorate everything girly. I may do an elective 3D/4D scan, so hopefully they can confirm it then.

This was not the case for a girl I play softball with. She was told she was having a boy and out came a beautiful little girl! But they loved the name so much they had chosen for their son, they just kept it for their little girl. So little Avery has many little blue outfits :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have heard of this happening, but in my case I'm not counting on it. Our u/s said girl and so did our blood test results from genetic testing. Sure the u/s tech could have been wrong, but the blood tests are 96 accurate.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I know someone that this happened to. It was baby #3 and she was told it was a girl (she had two boys already) so she was super excited about a daughter! Baby was born with a penis and it was quite a shock. It was a little difficult at first because she felt like she lost her baby girl, but of course she loved her son and now can't imagine it being any other way.

For me, the re-painting and the clothes would be the furthest thing from my mind :) It would take me a while to adjust to the idea of life with the opposite of what I had been imagining!
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha i fear the same thing. I've had 3 different sonograms by 3 different sono techs and they all said girl and pointed out the 3 lines. I also had the materniT21 test that says girl! So I'm pretty certain it is a girl... But 2 nightmares/dreams say different. LoL
  • imageJuliebird8307:
    I posted something similar to this after my anatomy scan. The tech told us that they only say they are 90 sure it's a girl because there is a chance that they miss something. With a boy, it's 100. I'm hoping my odds are good enough that we're ok to decorate everything girly. I may do an elective 3D/4D scan, so hopefully they can confirm it then.
    Thats funny. I was told Baby B was a boy, but at my anatomy scan it was very clear that Baby B was a girl. Three very clear lines! The umbilical cord or a hand must have been in between the legs creating the illusion of a boy, or something. They were definitely wrong! I was 16 weeks when I was told that.
  • I guess there is that slight possibility but it's not very likely. I've seen three lines in my ultrasound, so very sure she's a girl.
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• With DS we asked NOT to find out, but they record the anatomy scan findings anyhow, I guess just in case we want to know later. I wound up having an amnio and they did gender testing on the amniotic fluid then, too. My gut told me it was a boy all along, In the delivery room, the nurse asked me what gender I thought baby was and when I said, "boy" she asked if I wanted to place a bet. Fast forward a few hours. Baby is born, no crying, and the same nurse literally jumps back, clasps her hand over her mouth and says, "Oh, my god!" Freaking out, I said, "What's wrong???" She says, "It's a boy!" Turns out anatomy scan said girl, and the amnio results were transcribed incorrectly into the typewritten record (correct in a handwritten note buried in the file) and also said girl. The nurses had already filled out all of DS paperwork as girl, and his little ID bracelet said, "Baby Girl ___" which was then scratched out to read boy. Mother's intuition trumped modern science! I was SOOOO glad we hadn't asked!
    Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
  • It does happen, but not often.  Also, whoever said "with a boy, it's 100%", it REALLY is not!  I know 4 people who were told the wrong sex.  2 were told girl and it was a boy and 2 were told boy and it was a girl.  They can mistake the umbilical cord hanging down for a penis.  But either way I think it's pretty rare that they are wrong.
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    I'm nervous about this, at 13 weeks they were "80%" sure it was a boy, at 20 weeks they said they "thought" it was a girl, we got an elective at 21 weeks and they also said girl.  It just makes me nervous, but oh we'll we'd be thrilled with either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• ksf13ksf13 member
    I don't know the odds. We're expecting a girl and the three white lines were pretty clear. The ultrasound techs exact words were "Yep, those are definitely girl parts", but I'm secretly glad we have another ultrasound next week...just in case haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been a labor and delivery nurse for the last 10 years and have seen a handful of "boys" that turned out to be girls, and vice versa. US is NEVER 100 percent.

One of the first responses said something about waiting awhile and/or using neutral colors until you're delivered. That's your best bet. Besides, you're the only one who will know or care what color your nursery is. The baby certainly won't care, when you're sleep deprived at 2AM, you won't care either. Also, think of the time and expense you'll save just waiting a little bit, until LO is old enough to express interest.
  • For me, I am confident saying I am having boys and I was also this confident with the last pregnancies as well. I am possibly a ss though. I have frequent u/s to monitor for heart block (with this pregnancy and with DD) and I have my OB (he does his own u/s) check every time to make sure nothing grew or fell off. With DS the frequent u/s didnt start until 28 weeks but it was the same scenario. However, if I only had 2 u/s (one anatomy scan and one later on) I would be a little hesitant to put 100% stock in the sex.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"