May 2013 Moms
Options

Wonderful pediatrician's info

So sorry I've been MIA around here and will post Jonathan Clark's birth story as soon as I can but I saw a couple posts about breast feeding a couple days pp and felt the need to share what I learned...

My first few days breast feeding were awful. I saw more than one LC and cried more in the first few days pp than I did my entire pregnancy. At my son's first weight check, the pediatrician stopped in to say hello and I burst into tears. She shared that the first couple of days right before your milk comes in your hormones sky rocket more than they do during pregnancy. 

So anyone that is struggling through your first week of bfing please hang in there and blame the hardest part on hormones.  You'll get the hang of things! We're in week 3 and have even made it through our first growth spurt!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wonderful pediatrician's info

• Options
    Thanks for posting.  I had the same experience!  Great to know that others have gone through the same thing.  Our baby was small when she was born (5 lbs 8 oz) and then lost 7 oz in the hospital.  I was anxious for my milk to come in.  Everyone said 5-7 days and my body waited until day 7 to kick into milk production!  I had already had a couple mini-breakdowns by then!!  She's almost 3 wks now and has gone through her growth spurt, too.  Now she has chubby cheeks and legs so things are so much better!  
  • Options
    April!April! member
    This really helps! I wasn't really emotional at all during my pregnancy, but now I just want to cry. Breastfeeding is so hard!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My milk came in day two and I cried all day! The hormones plus the pain meds made me a little nutty. The first few days are hard!!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing. My lo's first days were in the NICU and waiting for my milk to come in was tough. We had to use a SNS system to help supplement the colostrum and he still lost weight and had too few pees and poops to please the doctors. I sobbed and sobbed while just trying to feed my little man.

Now that we are home, things have gotten so much better. He is gaining weight and seems to be doing well.I am exhausted, but that is normal, right?

• Options
    My pediatrician was wonderful in the hospital too. The night nurses has told me that LO needed to get a formula supplement because he had lost too much weight. I was in tears. LO was also ravenous waiting for the milk to come in and was a bear. The ped came in the next morning and told me that the nurses fed me a crock of "you know what" and that his weight loss was fine. He told me to keep on with the BFing and he'd be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    rebaannrebaann member

imageTundraGirl:
    Now that we are home, things have gotten so much better. He is gaining weight and seems to be doing well.I am exhausted, but that is normal, right?

Being home is much easier.  We did supplement with formula while I pumped and nursed, but today I've started nursing more and supplementing less.  She had regained about half of what she lost at her first pedi visit and I hope that when we go back 6/3, she will be back at birth weight or better.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

• Options
    imageNJAZgirl:
    My pediatrician was wonderful in the hospital too. The night nurses has told me that LO needed to get a formula supplement because he had lost too much weight. I was in tears. LO was also ravenous waiting for the milk to come in and was a bear. The ped came in the next morning and told me that the nurses fed me a crock of "you know what" and that his weight loss was fine. He told me to keep on with the BFing and he'd be fine.

That awesome of your pedi! It's ok for babies to lose weight.
    Baby #3 on the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"