December 2011 Moms

Help with sleep issues?

I don't post much, but I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions, or some reassurance or something because I am at a loss.

L was great at naps and going to bed until about 3 days ago.  We would tell him it was bed time and he would walk to his room, get his paci and let me put him down.  Now he is screaming if I try to put him in the crib, pulling up his legs, clinging to me.  The first night, after a horrible hour of crying and throwing his pacifier, banging his head on the crib, etc., I let him snuggle on the sofa, and he was fine and fell asleep after about 45 minutes.  The next night, when he got fussy about going into the crib, I tried to cut to the chase, and let him just snuggle, but after 90 minutes he was awake and wanting to play and really fighting sleep.  So, I put him in the crib anyway, and for most of the next hour he cried, though I sat in the room with him.  He finally relaxed and fell asleep.  Now, today, he is doing the same thing at nap time.  Cried for over an hour.  Mad, angry crying, and wouldn't stop.  I told the nanny to finally give up and just let him out and he is perfectly fine and happy.

He sleeps fine once he is asleep, and I really don't think he's got anything else going on.  We tried to give him some tylenol to see if it would help in case he was teething or something.  But this isn't painful/sad crying.  This is angry stuff. 

I thought that maybe it was a one off thing, but now that it seems to happen every nap and bed time, I'm afraid this is just a power struggle.  It is so hard to deal with and I am not sure what to do.  Do I just stick to my guns and let him cry?  Ignore him in there?  Let him stay up all night?  Get rid of the nap?  It really seems like he won't ever give up and it really breaks my heart listening to him.  We've tried music, leaving the light on, etc. but the only thing that stops it is letting him out of the crib, and I don't want to go down that path.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Re: Help with sleep issues?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • do you always stay in the room as he cries?  That is very likely making it worse.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • NNGnomeNNGnome member
    I agree with pps it sounds like he is not tired yet, he may not need as much sleep as he used to, DS did this a couple days before he went from 2 naps to one (a month or so ago), even though he was ready to go down for his first he would fight the second, so I just slowly pushed back the first nap and dropped the second nap, and now he's back to normal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 7.11.11 - Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 29.8.13 - Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"