Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Baby Walker

what age can you start using one? i dont have one for my son but want to get one..any suggestions on which one to get? I like the ones that look like a car!

Re: Baby Walker

• jen302jen302 member
    I don't have one. All I keep reading is how dangerous hey are and how they discourage floor time. I have a jumperoo tho
  • interesting! i have a jumperoo too and he loves it! just thought he might want a walker but ill look into it a little more..thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL bought the Chicco Dance Walker for W right around 6 months old and he absolutely loves it. It has been a huge help for this phase when he's desperate to move on his own. I limit his time to 15-20 min. at a time and no more than 1 hour a day. It is not dangerous if you keep him in a safe area and supervise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There has been research done to show that it can mess up their natural way of learning to walk, and actually cause damage to hips. Not sure how much I believe it actually impacts, but I also think it definitely depends on how often you use it. I have owned the same one for both my kids, and probably used it 3 times. I just prefer letting them sprawl out on the floor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • imagerjeller32:
    There has been research done to show that it can mess up their natural way of learning to walk, and actually cause damage to hips. Not sure how much I believe it actually impacts, but I also think it definitely depends on how often you use it. I have owned the same one for both my kids, and probably used it 3 times. I just prefer letting them sprawl out on the floor.

This goes the same for anything they dangle in: a carrier (unless it's an Ergo type of carrier), a walker, a jumperoo, etc.

I have a jumperoo and I got a free walker (someone was throwing it away, and the second hand stores wouldn't take it because the owners altered it), and it's at my in laws house so we don't have to lug around the jumperoo whenever we go to the in laws (they live about 2 hours away).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • vic8504vic8504 member
    I bought a walker for DD and she has been using it since about 5 months or so. She runs all over the place in it. She crawls and she walks around holding on to our hands. No bad side effects from its use.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • zmosszmoss member

I have a walker that my Mom bought at Walmart. I think it was 40$. It has a little tray of toys that can be removed. LJ walks around in it now (he is 8 months 6 1/2 adjusted) while I wash dishes and make his bottle before bed.

I'm not worried about it because like PP said he does not LIVE in the thing and spends less time in it than most babies spend in a bouncer. 

If you want one get one. 

imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
  • We have one. He's been using it for about a month now. They need to have good head control before you use one. People say they are dangerous, but you just have to watch them in it and not use it at the top of the stairs. We live in an apartment and have no stairs.

He loves it so much! We have one that looks somewhat like a car. It's made by safety first. My LO is a little on the short side so an adjustable one worked and so did a Kolcraft that was on the smaller side for him to use while he was at the sitters. This is one of the ways he gets around and now he's so interested in walking!

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We've got one. DD loves it. We've got laminate/tile floors on the first floor so she zooms around like a crazy kid. As long as you baby proof, it really shouldn't be dangerous. 

• PokedotPokedot member
    imagemamaHippo23:

My MIL bought the Chicco Dance Walker for W right around 6 months old and he absolutely loves it. It has been a huge help for this phase when he's desperate to move on his own. I limit his time to 15-20 min. at a time and no more than 1 hour a day. It is not dangerous if you keep him in a safe area and supervise.

I use it in the morning while I get ready. DS has no desire to sit and play anymore. Heck he won't even crawl. He wants up on his feet to walk. This allows that while I don't have to hold onto him. He has a blast! He loves to "chase" us down the hallway! We got an Baby Einstein from Target. They had a coupon so it was like $20!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"