TTC after 35

RE results vent & ?

Given my age (turned 39 2 weeks ago) my OB referred my to a RE after 4 months of trying with no success. I went to the same one 2 1/2 years ago because MH had recently finished chemo (he had lymphoma) and we wanted to make sure his boys were ok before we ttc. Since I was 36, he did a full work-up on both of us. After getting our results, he said to try naturally but never really explained the test results to us. We conceived naturally and when DD was about 10 months, we tried again and conceived again. That pregnancy ended in a D&E at 14 weeks.

This time around, I had an u/s and a saline sono and he saw no abnormalities (I was concerned there may be scar tissue from the D&E as I bled for a really long time). He ran a thyroid panel, which told me I was undermedicated, so we upped my synthroid. Then I had blood work for an FSH, estridol, and an AMH done. He said the HSG was unnecessary as I had one 2 1/2 years ago. I got my FSH results yesterday and it is an 8 and the estridol was normal. I have not gotten the results to the AMH, but from what I understand, that is less likely to have changed a great deal since the first time I had it done than the FSH. Also, during the u/s the doctor told me he could see "a lot of eggs in there" so I'm hopeful it will be ok. I should have the AMH results tomorrow.

Here comes the vent...when the nurse called with my results, I made an appointment to go over them with the doctor, but he can't get us in until the latter half of June! The wait to interpret these results is killing me. If he thinks we're going to need help, I wanted to try in June as I will be away when I O in July and the office will be closed when I O in August (they close for 3 weeks in August). That puts us into September. The baby I lost in November was due 2 days ago. I found out I was pregnant with that baby on Sept 10th (MH's b-day). I guess I'm just frustrated because I feel like I should be snuggling a newborn right now and now I'm feeling like I may not even be KU by a full year after I was KU with that one. I'm just having a poor me moment.

I guess my question is, for those who under a RE's care, what are the requirements for needing help?  I know the protocol varies a great deal based on individual test results, but if you're comfortable sharing, what did your RE recommend and why? 

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: RE results vent & ?

• Your fsh is pretty good. Under 9. Mine was 14 and i conceived naturally after failed iuix4. And my eggs were diminished so my guess is you will do fine on your own: just may take a couple more months: good luck.
  • Agree, with PP, fsh level sounds good. Getting your TSH to the optimal level could help. I'm assuming your AMH levels should be good based on your doctor seeing lots of eggs. We were TTC#2 for 2 years when I went to see an RE. We're going straight to IVF based on several factors: poor morph, very low amh & few visible follicles. I wish I had sought help sooner. Good luck to you!
    Me 38, DH 34 Missed M/C 10/08 at 10 weeks DD born 8/09, TTC#2 since Jan 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The ladies are right.  You sound like you are in pretty good shape.  Maybe, you can just ask the RE receptionist to put you on the cancellation list, so that if, someone cancels that you can get their apt. time.  And, in the meantime, just TTC naturally.  ;)    I can understand how annoying that long of a wait is...ugh! 

Wishing you the best of luck!  Keep us posted in how it turns out.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • ksgsmuksgsmu member

so sorry-

like pp said... getting your thyroid lower might help.  Higher TSH can mess with your ovulation.  Also  you might know high TSH means heavier miscarriage rate.  So getting your meds fixed should only help you moving forward.  My RE and Endo are shooting for under 2.0 on my TSH level. 

I would also try to get on a cancellation list as well... or ask if you can do a phone consult in the least... that is just too long to wait!!!

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• ally510ally510 member
    Thanks ladies! I see my endo again in 2 weeks. Hopefully, my levels will have gone down by then. I'll definitely call and have them put me on the cancellation list...great idea!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Blocked Fallopian tube.
  • ally510ally510 member

imageReilly626:
    Blocked Fallopian tube.

I don't think so. I had an HSG the first time I went to the RE and my tubes were clear. He didn't seem to think that it was necessary to check them again.   

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"