January 2013 Moms

tongue tie update

I went to the breastfeeding support group run by Susan Howard today and Eloise is lip tied, has a posterior tongue tie and a high palate. We go on Wednesday for a consultation to see about fixing it and I couldn't be happier to at least have an answer.

I called my mom excited and she thinks it's silly and that I shouldn't put Eloise through surgery just so I can continue to breastfeed her. I really don't think it's a selfish decision, I feel like I'm doing all of this to provide what I think is best but now I'm not entirely sure. I want to continue providing breast milk until she's at least a year but she won't be eating as often once she starts solids.

Would you just wait it out the month and hope once she starts solids it'll get easier? 

Re: tongue tie update

• 82Sonia82Sonia member
    I don't think it would hurt to talk to a doctor about what the surgery would entail.

Does it affect her ability to take a bottle?

• I clicked on the wrong Jan. Board, but there is a TT babies support group on FB w/ lots of good info, support. We are just know figuring out DS2's TT/LT issues!

Just search for tounge tie babies support group and ask to join.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow thanks for that information! 

I think feeding her would be easier with a bottle but I know I wouldn't keep up with pumping. Our breast milk relationship would much sooner than I was hoping for her. Plus I'm tongue tied and I wish it had been fixed when I was little so I assume she might feel the same way if we didn't fix it.

• LO is not tongue or lip tied, but my husband recently worked with an ENT on his ambulatory rotation in residency, and assisted with several clippings. He said that the pain was fleeting and minimal, and that it was really not invasive at all. If it allows you to continue breastfeeding, which, from reading your posts it seems is important to you and meaningful in your relationship with LO, I'd go for it!
  • I would at least go to the consultation to get more information as to what it would entail. I'm glad to hear you have finally found a solution to your breastfeeding issue. My LO was just diagnosed with a milk protein intolerance/allergy so while I am sad about giving up dairy (which is in everything) I am glad to finally have an answer as to why my LO was gassy/fussy all the time. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ecu0505ecu0505 member

I agree with everyone - definitely go to the consultation. Gather all the information you can and weight your options. You know what is best for you LO and you.

• I don't at all think it's selfish to explore your options. It sounds like you've worked hard at breastfeeding and its important to you and if that's the case it's smart to see how you can continue your BFing relationship. I know I have worked so hard at BFing and I would be really upset if I couldn't continue. Bottom line is go with your gut and do what feels best for you and you DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow!  I'm so surprised you're just finding all of this out now.  Crazy!  It must feel so good to have some answers!  Definitely move forward with the consult and go from there.  I mean, you've made it this far under current circumstances, at least see what they can do and that that entails before making a decision.  I'm sure it could totally change your BFing relationship for the better.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • EagsEags member

We've done a ton of research into lip ties we were pretty sure DS has one (the pedi said that is was just a "thick frenulum," but I really don't think so.  She also said they wouldn't do anything until he was like 5, again though, I disagree with that).

Anyway, I would check further into it because the lip tie can cause other issues like gapped teeth and speech issues.

6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • https://www.kiddsteeth.com/ - we used Dr. Kotlow, leading dentist using a laser to fix tongue and lip ties. My daughter had both a posterior tongue tie and a lip tie. She was impossible to nurse and struggled with a bottle nipple as well.

The whole procedure took 5 minutes to do both. I was able to nurse immediately and she stopped crying as soon as she started to eat.

We drove almost 4 hours to get to the office but for us it was worth it. She struggled to eat and that made my decision for me.

No issues while healing and the laser pretty much takes care of any risk of infection.

Good luck with your decision...for us it was clear, for others its not as obvious.

• tdoyentdoyen member
    Very happy you got answers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah there is a doctor close to us who came highly recommended! He also uses a laser and I kind of wonder about maybe getting my tongue fixed in a couple years!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"