December 2010 Moms

SO flying with a toddler

Last time we flew DS was a lap child. This time he has to be in his own seat and we are going for a longer time which means more luggage. Last time we were gone for the weekend, this time it is a whole week.

DH wants to check luggage and just carry the car seat. I am terrified of checking luggage because in my mind that automatically means it will not arrive lol. I want to just pack everything in one rolling case and strap the car seat to it and put he suitcase above us so we know where it is.

WWYD? Recommendations for anything else? Including not luggage related since this is only out second time ever flying

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.

Re: SO flying with a toddler

• Without his carseat, O would no sit in his own seat-which meant he was in my lap the whole flight.  On the way home I put him in his carseat on the plane and it was great.  I would suggest carrying on one bag with a change of clothes for each of you and some necessities-like makeup you cannot live without, diapers, and wipes.  The rest you can check.  If you are not going out of the country you can find a Target or Walmart pretty much anywhere you are if you need to replace something that didn't make it and you need it right away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lrn327lrn327 member

Are you flying out near me?  If so, you can borrow our Scenara!  But duh, I guess you'd need to get here some way right.  :-)

Are you flying Delta, if so, they can be pretty strict on size as I feel like their carryon sizing is a big different.  We checked the suitcase and with C, the carseat, the stroller, C's suitcase and my bookbag, I'm so glad we did!!  This is coming from a person that has flown 8 separate transatlantic flights, each time with only a carry-on, and one of those times I was pregnant!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • lrn327lrn327 member

imagemamaholmes2010:
    Without his carseat, O would no sit in his own seat-which meant he was in my lap the whole flight.  On the way home I put him in his carseat on the plane and it was great.  I would suggest carrying on one bag with a change of clothes for each of you and some necessities-like makeup you cannot live without, diapers, and wipes.  The rest you can check.  If you are not going out of the country you can find a Target or Walmart pretty much anywhere you are if you need to replace something that didn't make it and you need it right away.

Exactly!  C threw up on me so I got a new jacket!  (Not on the plane, he had an allergic reaction while we were visiting Harvard and threw up in his first trashcan at college.  Lol, at the trashcan NOT the allergic reaction.) 

• We just got back from a week long vacation. We flew with 2 large suitcases and 4 convertible carseats checked. Then we each carried on a backpack. That was a lot of stuff, but there really is no way around it when you travel with 6 people LOL.

In the kids backpacks we put their fave blanket and stuffed animal, a coloring book and crayons and snacks (gold fish, cookies, fruit snacks etc.) Our flights were only 2 hours, each way, but it went great. Good luck!

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • imagelrn327:
    Are you flying out near me? nbsp;If so, you can borrow our Scenara! nbsp;But duh, I guess you'd need to get here some way right. nbsp;:Are you flying Delta, if so, they can be pretty strict on size as I feel like their carryon sizing is a big different. nbsp;We checked the suitcase and with C, the carseat, the stroller, C's suitcase and my bookbag, I'm so glad we did!! nbsp;This is coming from a person that has flown 8 separate transatlantic flights, each time with only a carryon, and one of those times I was pregnant!!

Connecting at your airport and then flying to Dallas. DH has these plans to go shopping and bring all this stuff back. He's stressing me out! I thought this was suppose to be reversed roles lol

• lrn327lrn327 member
    Holler if you end up having a long layover or anything.  C LOVES the airport!  And maybe through a packable bag in your suitcase for shopping?
  • imagelrn327:
    Holler if you end up having a long layover or anything. nbsp;C LOVES the airport! nbsp;And maybe through a packable bag in your suitcase for shopping?

I think we have a 3 hour lay over but I can't remember if that is this Saturday or next Saturday. I'll find out the exact times and let you know. I'm sure that would help a lot for J to have a play date between flights

• imageletranger:
    If you can pack a whole weeks clothing and supplies for three people in a carry on. More power to you.

lol I was thinking the same thing.

We're leaving tomorrow am for chicago for my brothers wedding and coming back Saturday night...so we're away for 36 hours and we're checking one big bag. We've got our clothes in it, extra snacks, diapers, wipes, shoes, some toys for Brody, toiletries, etc. 

In my diaper bag/carry on, I've got extra clothes, diapers, wipes, stickers, books, my camera, snacks, ID, money, wallet. I've got to figure out if I'm going to carry on my pump and all of the parts and I also have to pack a cooler with an ice pack and some milk. And a portable DVD player.

Pray for me! lol first time we've flown with either of the boys. Thank goodness the flight is only 2 hours. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Well, given that we just landed in Chicago O'Hare airport I feel like I can answer this. Lol!

G has flown lots of times but this was his first time in his own seat. It was actually fabulous with the carseat! He didn't fuss and even napped a little! Never happened when he was a lap infant. He had some flap books and iPad and a new transformers car and he was happy as a clam.

I'm big on never checking baggage because I think it's a hassle. So, we almost never check. We carried the Carseat and roll aboard luggage no problem. G had a little backpack for his stuff. It all went really smoothly. Bonus pip:

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Good luck and have a great trip, we are on vacation now... We checked everything carseats and our luggage. We travel quite a bit and I haven't had a case where all my luggage was lost, so I guess I just chance it and figure when I arrive I can go shop for a few essentials if needed. We had a 6 hour flight and A did really well. We only had a couple of meltdowns, but all due to him taking turns with J. Short lived but whatever. We took lots of snacks and I brought his sippy cup empty onto the plane so we could put their drink service in when they came through and not worry about him spilling everywhere. I had books, activities, and the iPad and iPhone to keep him occupied. He doesn't nap well or at all unless there is no stimulus so we already knew he wouldn't sleep the flight. He finally passed out as we were leaving the airport on our way to the rental car place.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemamaholmes2010:
    Without his carseat, O would no sit in his own seat-which meant he was in my lap the whole flight.  On the way home I put him in his carseat on the plane and it was great.  I would suggest carrying on one bag with a change of clothes for each of you and some necessities-like makeup you cannot live without, diapers, and wipes.  The rest you can check.  If you are not going out of the country you can find a Target or Walmart pretty much anywhere you are if you need to replace something that didn't make it and you need it right away.

This 100%. Just check a bag or two. You will be fine!

Definitely keep the carseat with you because in our experience going without it is a DISASTER. Of course, when they sit in it, they do kick the seat in front of them. Just FYI.  

We just bought a luggage-cart-like thing specifically designed to transport carseats with children in them through the airport. We'll see how it works for our upcoming flights. But we did test it out and DS liked it. It can be better than strapping it to luggage, because that can put a strain on your rolling suitcase. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"