December 2011 Moms

Fighting afternoon nap

I've always put DS down for his only nap after lunch around 12:30/1:00. We eat lunch then go in his room, change his diaper and read books. This past week he is fighting the nap and will play and throw his blankets and pacifiers out of his crib then after a half hour/hour he cries since he wants his pacifier/blanket. Has anyone else gone through this? I don't know what to do besides let him play in there till he cries then I give him the stuff back and lay him down and he'll cry but eventually go to sleep. At bedtime he'll roll around and eventually go to sleep and doesn't do this. Thanks in advance!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Fighting afternoon nap

• Mine is going through something similar too and it's very frustrating.  DD will cry until she's hysterical and I can't leave her in there anymore.  This just started in the last couple of weeks and even has been happening at bed time some nights.  She's always been a good sleeper but she's wanted to be held a lot lately.  She'll cry in her crib but then as soon as she gets picked up and rocked for a minute, she's out.  She's never needed that before so I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm treating it like a phase.  Hopefully she'll go back to sleeping when she's supposed to and stops throwing her blanket and bottle out too.  I really don't want her to get dependent on me rocking her.

I would say to just keep giving it back to him until he settles down.  It is kind of weird that he only does it at nap time though.  Maybe they're just at an age now where they think they're going to be missing out on something if they take a nap. Good luck!

• Is it possible he's over-tired?  C does this for her nap when I wait to long to put her down.  I have to go in her room a few times and give her back her pacifiers and her sleep seahorse, and usually I eventually have to rock her to sleep when she's like that.  But since you're always putting him down at the same time, maybe it's not the same issue.  Maybe he's not tired yet?  Maybe try putting him down later?  Or earlier if you think he might be over-tired?  Sorry, not much help.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I think it might be because he's waking up a little later lately so I'll just put him down a little later I guess. Could be teething I guess too, who knows!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"