May 2011 Moms

Milk

What kind of milk are you giving your 2 year old? At our 2 year apt, our pedi said we should give her whatever milk we drink, but we don't drink milk. I quit drinking milk when we started IF treatments.

I'm leaning towards keeping her on whole milk as my acupuncturist recommends. I know there was a recent study that showed that kids who drink skim milk are more likely to become obese, but I don't know the details.

I drank 2 percent as a child, so I guess that might be okay too. DD is about 50 percent for height and weight now.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Milk

• My views on milk are a little unorthodox, but I believe raw cow's milk is the best. And that pasteurized low fat milk 2 or skim should not be consumed.

I have read extensively on the subject and it was my final research paper last semester.

If you want more detail PM but hear me out when I say she is better off with pasteurized whole milk than skim. If raw is not available most people have access to lowtemp pasteurized nonhomogenized milk, it is the closest you'll get to raw. HTH!

ETA: my family drinks whole lowtemp pasteurized and nonhomogenized milk from local grassfed cows because raw is illegal in my state.
  • DS is still drinking whole milk. He is pretty thin and I have read studies that the extra fat is good for brain development. It does mean that we are drinking three different kinds of milk in our house though: whole milk for DS, lactose free for DH, and fat free for me (and breast milk for DS2).
    DS1 5/15/11
    DS2 12/20/12
  • Loading the player...
  • We switched from whole milk to 2% at age 2. The doctor said it was fine. LO is in the 74th percentile for weight and growing steadily.

Sticking with whole would have also been fine per the doctor but DH really needs to stop drinking the whole and we can't fit three kinds of milk in the fridge.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD will not touch cows milk, soy milk, chocolate milk, nothing.  We are still nursing pretty frequently so I'm not worried about it and she's eating a ton of other dairy products (yogurt, cheese).  She's offered milk twice a day each day at school and won't even try it.  I'm choosing not to sweat it and do a little dancing at pedi appointments instead of wasting tons of milk on a kid who won't drink it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I makes me sad when I hear people drink skim or fat free milk.

Here is well researched article on what people don't know about skim.

From the secret ingredient it contains to how it's voided of nutritional value thus chemically synthetized vitamins are added. Skim is a really bad idea all around.

https://butterbeliever.com/fatfreedairyskimmilksecrets/

ETA: and doctors have no training on nutrition, by the way, except for the guide lines that come from the FDA and USDA which nutritional information is in place to benefit big ag and the handful of big food producers that control the food market.
  • I grew up on 2% but since Audrey has been drinking whole milk I have grown accustomed to it.I don't plan to switch to 2% unless a member of my household becomes overweight. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMolly&:

imageSteph&Harry08:
    I makes me sad when I hear people drink skim or fat free milk. Here is well researched article on what people don't know about skim. From the secret ingredient it contains to how it's voided of nutritional value thus chemically synthetized vitamins are added. Skim is a really bad idea all around. https://butterbeliever.com/fatfreedairyskimmilksecrets/ ETA: and doctors have no training on nutrition, by the way, except for the guide lines that come from the FDA and USDA which nutritional information is in place to benefit big ag and the handful of big food producers that control the food market.

However, doctors do have trying in infectious disease.   

I don't know what you mean. What does infectious disease have to do with the misconception that fat free dairy is healthy and the reality and the truth behind just how unhealthy skim milk is--which is the point I made here.

• imageMolly&:
    imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageMolly&:

imageSteph&Harry08:
    I makes me sad when I hear people drink skim or fat free milk. Here is well researched article on what people don't know about skim. From the secret ingredient it contains to how it's voided of nutritional value thus chemically synthetized vitamins are added. Skim is a really bad idea all around. https://butterbeliever.com/fatfreedairyskimmilksecrets/ ETA: and doctors have no training on nutrition, by the way, except for the guide lines that come from the FDA and USDA which nutritional information is in place to benefit big ag and the handful of big food producers that control the food market.

However, doctors do have trying in infectious disease.   

I don't know what you mean. What does infectious disease have to do with the misconception that fat free dairy is healthy and the reality and the truth behind just how unhealthy skim milk is--which is the point I made here.

Touche. However, infectious disease is very pertinent to your original post in this thread so I was thinking about all of the advice you've given in this thread.   

Ah, gotcha. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, I just really didn't see the link between the two.

Actually, raw milk is not even in the top ten contaminated foods. People think we are going to die from drinking raw milk because that's what the CDC says, thus, it is what doctors think, thus, people believe doctors. 

There is always a chance for contamination, just look at the organic strawberries recall from Costco, I know; but my point is, it is a big misconception that raw milk cause infectious diseases.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"