Babies: 6 - 9 Months

XP: Weekend away from LO

I'm over at 3-6 months now, but I thought maybe some of you ladies might have experience in this! Shed some wisdom :)

We are moving this weekend (ugh), and my MIL has kindly offered to watch the girls at her house from Friday evening to Sunday evening. This will be the longest I've been away from DD2, and the longest she's been without either DH or I around. I trust my MIL, so I think she'll survive. Now my 2 year old around my SIL's kid, might not survive. She is just a terror, and is beyond hurtful to my DD1 (she has gone as far to whip her with a willow stick multiple times, I am not excited that they all live on the same ranch.)

But, I am pumping away, and I am not really sure how much BM I should have minimally. I really don't want to end up having her drink formula. Right now I have 45 oz, and if I pump out 7 oz like I have been every night, I should have  28 more by Friday.73 oz has GOT to be more than enough, right? I can't imagine her EVER going through all of that in two days.

They live two hours away, so I figured we'd drive up, I'd feed her, then leave.

And how often do you pump when LO is away? When they normally eat, or more often, since a pump isn't as efficient at getting BM out... I just don't want to lose my supply.

I am totally over thinking this, aren't I?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image  image

Re: XP: Weekend away from LO

• I don't have any experience, but if you post this on the Breastfeeding Board you might get more responses for the breastfeeding part of your question.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My first thought is I would be extremely nervous to leave the girls with a kid who is a "terror" and likes to hit my babies with a stick! Heck no. I guess it's alright if you feel your MIL can keep the child under control and prevent her from terrorizing your DDs. I'm not discouraging you from leaving them, but I don't think I would be comfortable with the situation you described.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 73 oz is way more than what your DD will need for 2 days. She probably takes about 24 oz a day. When I'm away from DD, I pump when she normally eats to keep my body on the same schedule. If I pump more often than every 3 hours, I don't get as much milk anyway to make it worth it.

As for your SIL's kid, can you ask MIL to keep an extra eye on your DD1?

Good luck with the move! It will definitely be smoother if you don't have the kids with you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemamaHippo23:

My first thought is I would be extremely nervous to leave the girls with a kid who is a "terror" and likes to hit my babies with a stick! Heck no. I guess it's alright if you feel your MIL can keep the child under control and prevent her from terrorizing your DDs. I'm not discouraging you from leaving them, but I don't think I would be comfortable with the situation you described.

They have it to where my niece isn't allowed to be alone with DD1, and will get sent back to her moms house if she does anything. She is just a spoiled little girl that has real issues with going from an only child and only grandkid for 5 years to 1 of 4 grandkids. It does make me nervous, but we have no one else to watch them. All of my family lives very far away. 

And thanks to other PP, that's what I wanted to hear.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Pump when baby would normally eat. At 4 months, you are not going to lose your supply in 2 days. I've been away for work several times and have actually pumped less often than baby eats, and I was still fine. You may notice a tiny dip, but it will bounce right back when you get home and start nursing again.

Make sure you MIL knows how to bottle feed a bf baby (slow, stop to burp, switch sides). Overfeeding would be the only reason 73 ounces wouldn't be enough for 2 days, and even that is unlikely (my 8 mo old drinks about 32 ounces of milk when I'm gone, so she would have to seriously overfeed). Also, I would stress starting with small bottles and giving more if she's still hungry. You are less likely to lose milk that way if she doesn't finish a bottle.

January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"