Multiples

MFM and OB - how many anatomy scans?

Mobile:  MFM and OB - how many anatomy scans?

I just got back from my first MFM appointment and they did an anatomy scan which took an hour and a half.  When the dr came in, she mentioned that they want to do another one next time.  Is that going to be as detailed?  I just don't know if measuring the arm and leg length of each baby is something that needs to be done that frequently.  Also, my OB was scheduling u/s during my appointments with them as well. 

What does everyone else do?  How are you scheduling the appointments?  How often?  I thought I'd see a doctor every two weeks - alternating between the two practices.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MFM and OB - how many anatomy scans?

• I have an ultrasound with an MFM every month and until 23 weeks I was seeing my OB every month, now I will see the OB every other week.  Not sure if my ultrasounds will increase in frequency or not yet.

My first anatomy scan was the typical 18 week scan that took over an hour and a half.  The next month, they did what they called a growth scan.  They did measure several things like a couple bone lengths (I want to say femur?), head circumference, and just general measurements.  It did not take as long, maybe a half hour?  It depends on how cooperative the babies are.  I go back next week for another.  The u/s tech told me there are certain things they look for, such as those certain bones, that are good indicators of how they are growing.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pea-kaypea-kay member
    All of my scans at the MFM were that detailed. I had them every 2 weeks or so, so I guess they were growth scans, which I guess take longer.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • LedoLedo member

I go to my MFM every 2 weeks now but that is mostly because we have mo/di twins so they are monitoring fluid amounts and such.  Supposedly they will do a quick anatomy/growth check at each appointment as well (we have only gone to 1 so far so I'm not sure) but the doctor said most of the visits should take about 30 to 45 minutes on the table as long as everything goes like normal. 

The MFM though did say that if we had di/di twins we would only need to see them every 4 weeks...so go to OB, 2 weeks later go to MFM, 2 weeks later OB...that isn't the case for us though sooooo.....

We also go to the OB every 4 weeks like normal, until we hit (I think) 28 weeks, then switch that over to 2 weeks and up from there.

Evelyn & Jocelyn   9/19/2013
  • saracksarack member

i'm having another anatomy scan this thursday too. it's 23 weeks from my lmp. i had one at 19weeks. i have scans every other week with them, but those were because i had placenta previa, so we'll see if they'll continue or we will still continue on.

i was seeing my normal ob every other week, and then last appointment she said i can come in 2-3 weeks. i'm going in 3, i don't want to go to the doc all the time. 

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Due to high risk, my MFM wanted full care transferred over to them. So I had to say goodbye to my OB and will now deliver at a different hospital. Anyway, it seems that every ultrasound i have had, and there have been atleast 6, they take a long time doing measurements of everything every single time.
  • My twin pregnancy wasn't normal due to complications, I had scans multiple times a week.  However it is normal in any twin pregnancy to get growth scans every 2-4 weeks.  It's not necessarily a entire a/s all over again but they have to measure head and abd circ and arm and leg lengths to get and estimate of size.  They will also likely check fluid levels and few other things at the same time.  It usually takes about 15-30 minutes depending on how cooperative the babies are.
  • ceechieceechie member
    I see my MFM every 4 weeks and Obgyn every 2. And just starting at 32 weeks, I'm now at the hospital doing NST twice a week. I am having di di twin girls, no complications. So I'm guessing this is standard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"