Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Hard time coping with toddler & newborn-help please

My DS is extreemly hi-energy & wants to be with me (or any adult) all the time.  I have no problem leaving him in a room by himself, or an open room like kitchen/living area, but he wants to be playing with me all the time.  I've tried it in increments, I've tried just leaving him but nothing works.  We've had sitters since he was 3 months & he loves them, but if I don't have a sitter with me my newborn would be totally neglected, to say nothing of me getting food on the table or taking a minute for myself.  If I dare workout on my elliptical he wants me to hold him or he wants me off of it.  I always explain things to him like I'll hold you when I'm done but he doesn't care.  I've tried holding him thru his tantrums, ignoring them, but nothing works.  If I don't have a sitter with me all day, I simply can't even make a PB&J for myself with him going nuts.  I'm going broke over my 3 day a week babysitter & 2 day per week preschool.  I am wondering if I should put him in a 5 day a week 1/2 day preschool.  Any thoughts?  The other day I saw a mom in a store with a toddler in her stroller.  The mom was hemming & hawing over whatever she was looking at.  I couldn't even get DS into a stroller let alone take him into a store w/o him running everywhere let alone me taking 10 seconds to find the right thing on the shelf & just forget about actually taking the time to choose something.  Help!!

Re: Hard time coping with toddler & newborn-help please

• Options

Hang in there.  It's tough a the beginning.  I'd like to say it gets easier soon, but I'd be lying.

You do what you need to do to stay sane.  If that means preschool 5 days a week, then do it.  (I send mine 5 days a week 1/2 day and work part time - that leaves me a 2 days a week to get things done.)

My DD just recently started playing by herself for more than a few minutes at time - and the two of them started playing together in the last few months.

I survived at the beginning by doing call ahead grocery orders, lots of crock pot meals that could be made before the kids woke up for the day, and I gave lots of attention to DD while DS was napping - and I wore DS in a moby or Ergo so that I was hands-free for DD. And, when I was so frustrated with DD during the day, I would put her in her room and let her scream.

Accept any help that anyone offers and ask for help from anyone that you can!

HUGS! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    cpmichcpmich member
    I can't see how old your child is, but consider getting a Tula carrier or Kinderpack carrier. It was really helpful for shopping, errands, and even housework with a kiddo who does not happily hang out in a stroller. Seriously worth every penny.

Soon your little one will go through a mental growth spurt and will do independent play and you will have more breathing room. I know it feels hard when you are in the middle of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hugs hang in there it will get better but it may take some time the preschool sounds like a good idea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"