Food Allergy

Strawberry allergy at 16Mos & family history

Hi,

DS is 16 mos old and it looks like he's allergic to strawberries:( I am really sad about this because we have a huge family history of allergies. I am allergic to most fruits and nuts. DS's grandpa is celiac, and DS's grandma is allergic to strawberries and some veggies. I BF for a year because I thought it might help reduce his chances of allergies. Maybe it did, but he's still allergic to strawberries.

Lots of questions:

1) Does a strawberry allergy lead to other allergies (other fruits, nuts) or does it seem to be stand-alone? 

2) Can this allergy cause anaphylaxis?  

3) Is your LO sensitive to all strawberries (such as fruit juices in gummy fruit snacks)? Or, just fresh fruit?

Thanks all. 

Re: Strawberry allergy at 16Mos & family history

• EmR22EmR22 member
    My DD doesn't have a strawberry allergy but nuts/peanuts. From what I understand from my allergist any allergy can cause anaphylaxis...it doesn't really matter the food just how severe your little one has it. I have a nephew who is allergic to strawberries and he just gets red and rashy with diarrhea. He is allergic to the fresh fruit but also candy/fruit snacks etc. with strawberry flavors/juice. His parents basically avoid all red candy/juice/fruity stuff.  He's only 3 but as of now it hasn't led to other allergies. Hope that helps a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"