Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Confused about finger foods

I'm really confused about finger foods and transitioning from purees to solids! I've started puffs with my twin boys, which they've enjoyed, but now I know we need to move onto other solid items as well. The thing is...I'm scared! I'm terrified they're going to choke on their food. What is the appropriate size for finger foods? I've read nothing smaller/larger than a blueberry....is that correct? So if I did a banana, for instance, would I cut into bites that small? Sorry for the should-be-common-sense questions but my pediatrician didn't give me a lot of guidance. My boys are 9 months and don't yet have teeth. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Confused about finger foods

• That isn't necessarily true. BLW-ing babies get chunks of food and learn to chew off of them. After DS mastered the pincer grab, I gave him pieces of everything-chicken, cheese, toast, fruit...you name it. Just watch carefully, and don't leave LO unattended while eating. Also, just because LO gags some doesn't mean they're choking-they're developing their gag reflex.

And, babies don't really chew with their teeth. They mash their foods with their gums.

• imagemabenner1:

That isn't necessarily true. BLW-ing babies get chunks of food and learn to chew off of them. After DS mastered the pincer grab, I gave him pieces of everything-chicken, cheese, toast, fruit...you name it. Just watch carefully, and don't leave LO unattended while eating. Also, just because LO gags some doesn't mean they're choking-they're developing their gag reflex.

And, babies don't really chew with their teeth. They mash their foods with their gums.

This, but we did start out small at first with DS. We give him about pea size pieces at first and move up from there. DS has a small mouth (or at least I think he does). He still gets some puress (cause sometimes that is just easier in a time pinch). But he gets peas and carrots, and cheerios, and bananas and berries, and toast, cheese, other fruits and veggies too. He does have 7 teeth, but he mostly uses his gums to mash.

Just start slow with foods you already know they like from purees and branch out from there.

GL! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • J+MSJ+MS member

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm#.UZbaXFG7HD0

Also, take CPR/First Aid class. Every parent should. 

"Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • With DS I was not ready to give solid foods until he had teeth. With DD, I've learned about BLW and done some of that with her. I can give her a half banana and she will pick it up and eat it...no teeth. She chews whole broccoli, peas, halved grapes, ground meat--the list goes on and on. Trust your baby and let them practice. You'd be surprised what they are able to do!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is better to give them bigger food to start with and then move onto smaller food.  Check out Baby Led Weaning or Baby Led Solids for more info.  So 2 in piece of banana, whole or half of a strawberry, 2 in piece of steamed or roasted sweet potato, etc.  Gagging is normal and to be expected - dont interfere.  Allow their bodies to push the food out (provided they are sitting upright).  choking is rare.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! We did bananas this morning and I feel much more confident now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"