Military Families

Pcs-ing

Looks like we're headed to Wiesbaden... Any ladies here in Germany?

Re: Pcs-ing

• No. not any more! We were stationed in Vilseck/Graf  and we loved it!! I went to Wiesbaden to visit and it was okay! Enjoy being stationed in Europe. Travel- and make the most of it all!! We want to go back, but doesn't look like it's in our future. ;-(

• Not only am I in Germany, but I am in Wiesbaden! We've been here for 14 months and I'm really enjoying it which is saying something as my DH was deployed for almost 11 of those 14 months!.

There are a couple of very helpful Facebook groups for American and Military Spouses in Wiesbaden. Let me know what questions you have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSmudges*Mom:
    Not only am I in Germany, but I am in Wiesbaden! We've been here for 14 months and I'm really enjoying it which is saying something as my DH was deployed for almost 11 of those 14 months!. There are a couple of very helpful Facebook groups for American and Military Spouses in Wiesbaden. Let me know what questions you have.
    It's saying something because I remember a certain someone who was not so happy with the idea of moving overseas :)
  • imageArmyQM:
    imageSmudges*Mom:
    Not only am I in Germany, but I am in Wiesbaden! We've been here for 14 months and I'm really enjoying it which is saying something as my DH was deployed for almost 11 of those 14 months!. There are a couple of very helpful Facebook groups for American and Military Spouses in Wiesbaden. Let me know what questions you have.
    It's saying something because I remember a certain someone who was not so happy with the idea of moving overseas :)

Yah, when DH learned about our move, I went through a huge range of emotions.  Scared silly was one of them!  OCONUS orders (with a deployment right off the bat) was never, ever on his/our radar screen.  This move came out of left field.  But, I am thrilled to be here (most days!).  Our son is enrolled in a local kindergarten and is learning German and making friends.  Our neighbors are wonderful.  It is quite the experience!  But, it is what you make of it.  :) 

• imageSmudges*Mom:

imageArmyQM:
    imageSmudges*Mom:
    Not only am I in Germany, but I am in Wiesbaden! We've been here for 14 months and I'm really enjoying it which is saying something as my DH was deployed for almost 11 of those 14 months!.

There are a couple of very helpful Facebook groups for American and Military Spouses in Wiesbaden. Let me know what questions you have.

Yah, when DH learned about our move, I went through a huge range of emotions.  Scared silly was one of them!  OCONUS orders (with a deployment right off the bat) was never, ever on his/our radar screen.  This move came out of left field.  But, I am thrilled to be here (most days!).  Our son is enrolled in a local kindergarten and is learning German and making friends.  Our neighbors are wonderful.  It is quite the experience!  But, it is what you make of it.  :) 

I feel you on the fear. Lol I'm simultaneously excited and scared about the move. Do you live on post?
  • No, we do not live on post.  We live in a town in the Rheingau, about 20 minutes (with no traffic/road work) from the Airfield.   When we first learned about the move, I was adamant about wanting to live on post.  Then, as I got more comfortable with the idea of the move, I decided that I really wanted to live off post--to get the most out of the entire experience.

The housing office seems to go back and forth regarding forcing people to live on post then realizing that families need places to live.  There are two types of on post housing, older stairwell buildings with apartments (which are more spacious than I expected), which are closer to the city limits of Wiesbaden, and brand new duplexes that are on the Airfield, which is great for your DH is that's where he works, but is outside of the city limits (less than ten minutes, though, not far by any means).

Post is actually a number of small posts.  It is like no other post/base that I've ever seen.  The Airfield (which used to be referred to as WAAF, but has been renamed Clay Kaserne, I call it the Airfield) is the only housing community that is behind secured gates.  

If you are able to, and at least one vehicle well ahead of your arrival.  Renting a car here is much more expensive (and getting in order to use your gas ration for a rental car, you have to go through an extra step).  We shipped our vehicle about six weeks ahead of our arrival and it was waiting here for us.  It still took us nine days to get our USAEUR drivers licenses (you, and/or your DH has to register for the class and take, and pass, the test before they will release your vehicle to you).  Having our vehicle made a big difference for me emotionally.  To be able to come and go as we pleased, instead of relying upon the shuttle bus, meant a great deal.  

I won't lie, being here has its challenges, but despite those, I am really enjoying life here.  We live out in wine country, steps away from the vineyards.  We have done some traveling (to Paris, Zurich and Bavaria) and now that DH is home from his deployment, we plan to travel more.  

Oh, one word of caution, which was told to me at a briefing that DH and I attended at Fort Myer.  Expect your soldier to deploy.  One of the reasons the US still has operations here is to have service members closer to where "the action" is.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.  We knew that my DH would deploy shortly after we arrived.  It sucked, but now it's done, so it's not hanging over our heads. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"