December 2013 Moms

Gender Blood test at 11 weeks?

I was offered this yesterday at my visit. At 11 weeks, they can predict they gender from blood work! I think that this is so crazy! Any one else doing this? I AM!

Re: Gender Blood test at 11 weeks?

• Just blood work? Wow! I thought they could only do it from an amnio.

I would totally do it if its legit; but make sure insurance covers it.

• I'll be doing it. The primary purpose of the test is to check for chromosomal abnormalities. I think it's amazing they can check for these now noninvasively. It's a sweet bonus to learn the sex too! Insurance may cover it if you're considered high risk.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrsashleyk:
    The test is used to detect chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus.

*Am I seeing double?*

This. If this is the MateriniT21 it is used solely to detect chomosomal abnormalities in the fetus. It's just more difinitive than an NT scan so that's why doctors use it. One of the chromasomes they check is the chromasome that determines gender. That's why they know what the gender is. It's a nice little bonus, but not what the test is actually for.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • First, the test will tell you the sex of the baby. Not the gender. There is a difference. Second, it's a test for birth defects. Being able to tell the sex is a bonus.
    DD #1 3/4/09 DD #2 11/3/11 Surprise! LO #3 due 12/9/13
  • JulesETJulesET member
    A lot of insurance companies will not pay unless you are documented as high risk and it is very expensive.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Did the doctor really explain the test to you? If not, that's unfortunate. If so, then I think there are some misplaced priorities here.

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• momx32bmomx32b member

imagefranklyscarlette:
    First, the test will tell you the sex of the baby. Not the gender. There is a difference. Second, it's a test for birth defects. Being able to tell the sex is a bonus.

Who cares if she posted "Gender or Sex" did you really need to correct her?

This is one thing I hate about these boards...

• I wonder how long this will take to be released in Canada !!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagexconf143usionx:

imagemrsashleyk:
    The test is used to detect chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus.

*Am I seeing double?*

This. If this is the MateriniT21 it is used solely to detect chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus. It's just more difinitive than an NT scan so that's why doctors use it. One of the chromasomes they check is the chromasome that determines gender. That's why they know what the gender is. It's a nice little bonus, but not what the test is actually for.

This. I had it done this week. I'm 39. For insurance to pay you need to be high risk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It doesn't really 'predict' the gender - it identifies sex chromosomes, a completely different matter. The purpose of the test is to screen for fetal chromosomal aneuploidy, NOT sex chromosomes.  Identifying the sex chromosomes is seen by some as a bonus and by others as a downside of the test. 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• imagemomx32b:

imagefranklyscarlette:
    First, the test will tell you the sex of the baby. Not the gender. There is a difference. Second, it's a test for birth defects. Being able to tell the sex is a bonus.

Yes, because the two have different meanings
    DD #1 3/4/09 DD #2 11/3/11 Surprise! LO #3 due 12/9/13
  • imagemomx32b:

imagefranklyscarlette:

This 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did it also, but the main reason for the test is to check for monosomy/trisomy abnormalities, like PP have said. I am excited to find out! It is amazing to see how far these genetic test have come.
    Me: 28 DH: 33 TTC since February 2012, married September 2012 DX with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea 2/2013, HSG clear, Bloodwork good, SA great! Started seeing RE February 2013
      imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"