1st Trimester

Cramping/bleeding at six weeks

So all day today and starting last night I have had what feels exactly like mild-moderate menstrual cramps, and this morning I started bleeding when I go to the bathroom. I made a doctor's appointment and by the time it rolled around I had been cramping for nearly 24 hours and bleeding everything from bright red, to pink, to deep maroon, to clear/slimy liquid. (Very light bleeding and only on the toilet paper after I go to the bathroom.) The doctor did an ultrasound and found the egg sac with the baby inside. There was no heartbeat but she did not seem alarmed by that and had stated in the beginning of the exam that sometimes at six weeks the heartbeat cannot be seen. My cervix is completely closed, which she seemed very happy to discover. She said moderate cramping and light bleeding is common in early pregnancy and could be a sign of a blood clot behind the placenta pushing against the uterus, causing it to spasm and cramp and expel the clot. She told me everything's fine for now and to just keep an eye on the situation.

I am terrified I'm going to lose the pregnancy and have been an absolute mess all day. To be honest by the time I got to the doctor I had already accepted that she was going to tell me the baby was gone. By now my cramps have gotten MUCH better and I've only lightly bled once since the appointment. Has anything like this happened to anyone before? Does this "blood clot behind the placenta" theory sound familiar? Is light bleeding, coupled with mild-moderate cramping, common?

Re: Cramping/bleeding at six weeks

• ktedmonktedmon member
    it sounds like a SCH. I' have one and I've heard they are common. I passed one once and I thought it was a miscarriage. I still have one and it has caused lots of bleeding and worry, but I am 12 weeks, had an ultrasound on Monday and everything is fine. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for the rest of your pregnancy to be uneventful and healthy. Try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. Ive been there many times already and I'm only 12 weeks. It will be ok :).
  • Did she see a clot on the ultrasound?

I had a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot) with my daughter's pregnancy.  I had TERRIBLE bleeding (like, gushing) at about 7 weeks.  I was pregnant with twins at the time and when I went to the doctor both babies were fine (heartbeats strong).  You could clearly see the blood clot on the ultrasound.  Also, and maybe this was unique to me, I had no cramping.  It was just bleeding.  I remember this because it was strange.

Sadly, this kind of thing is one of those "wait and see" situations.  Sometimes bleeding ends up being okay.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Just take it easy, drink lots of fluids, and try to stay calm. 

Best wishes to you!

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Loading the player...
  • hkg80hkg80 member
    I'm glad to see this thread.  I am 5 1/2 weeks and started having light bleeding with mild cramps a couple of days ago.  Yesterday it progressed to moderate bleeding, but the cramps are gone, and I am still bleeding today.  I had my HCG levels tested yesterday, and will have it tested again tomorrow, and I have an ultrasound scheduled for this afternoon.  I have already prepared myself for the worst, but it is good to know that it's not a foregone conclusion and others have still have successful pregnancies after bleeding. 
  • Same here, I'm 6 weeks and I was certain I was having a miscarriage this morning. I had lots of bright red blood, lower abdomen cramping and even passed a clot. After about an hour it was basically over. I called my family doctor and went to get my HCG drawn. 24,000. I was shocked when she said that it increased appropriately and I'm fine. I'm going to retest my HCG Monday and try to get in to the Obgyn for an ultrasound. All my doctor kept saying was that this was common and the baby is fine, but I just can't believe it. After talking to some friends, they had similar experiences from 6-8 weeks and all had healthy babies. I hope the same is true for us!! Good luck and keep us posted!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"