August 2013 Moms

Maxi Dresses

I'm looking for a dress for my little brother's graduation-I'm short (5'4")..think I could get away w/ buying a normal (non-maternity) jersey-knit maxi dress? I don't want the bump to raise it up all weird, but I'm thinking if it's long and flowy enough, it shouldn't be an issue.
Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
07/03/2012
08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
or you're all the way grown,
my promise to you
is you're never alone.
You are my angel, my darling,
my star...and my love will find you,
wherever you are."

Re: Maxi Dresses

• I definitely suggest buying regular maxi dresses, not maternity.The way I see it is maxi dresses are flowy enough that they will accomodate a growing bump and you will be able to wear them even when you aren't pregnant. A maxi maternity dress is going to be to big to wear after pregnancy.

I bought a couple at Target last weekend actually and they fit so good and are so comfortable.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • All depends on the length. I am 5 feet 2 in and all the maxi dresses I have tried on were way too long. I ended up getting some shorter dresses from old navy which still end up at mid calf for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelindsey61811:

I definitely suggest buying regular maxi dresses, not maternity.The way I see it is maxi dresses are flowy enough that they will accomodate a growing bump and you will be able to wear them even when you aren't pregnant. A maxi maternity dress is going to be to big to wear after pregnancy.

I bought a couple at Target last weekend actually and they fit so good and are so comfortable.

Target has a bunch of cute maxis!

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Yep- I'd buy regular ones. I'm 5'2 and have found a few that fit length wise and don't look weird at the bottom due to the bump. 
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• I'm almost 5'10 and wore my regular maxi dresses throughout my entire last pregnancy.  At 26 weeks, I'm still pretty small, but plan to do the same thing again.  I've also bought some maxi skirts this time around from Nordstrom Rack.  I did have to go up a size for those.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Soleil3Soleil3 member
    I bought regular ones :) from Walmart actually, they are super comfy and cute.
    image image

• Limo526Limo526 member
    I got mine for my shower at old navy : it's maternity but it really isn't it doesn't have the rouching on the sides it looks like a regular one to me.
  • Old Navy had some great ones in the non maternity section! And they are having a 30% off sale :)

M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.

DS1- 8/2013

DS2- 11/2015 (Second round IUI)

DD- 9/2017

Baby #4 Due 5/10/20 TEAM GREEN

• I have regular ones from old navy and I love in them!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes I got some really cute ones at Walmart this year and last
  • Add me to the list of buying from old navy! I am 5'4" as well and bought a regular maxi in medium and it is the perfect length! I bought a small in the maternity maxi. Neither one make it shorter or funny looking from the bump. I plan to wear maxis all summer so I bought a few!

• I was going to suggest target as well. I have a non-maternity maxi dress from target, mossimo brand I think and it's the right length for me at 5'2", and it doesn't touch the ground even in flats. Since you're slightly taller, you could get away with the maxi dresses from old navy as well, as I need a slight heel in order for those to not touch the ground.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I've gotten a few regular maxis from Macy's and Express. I'm 5'4" and they fall at a prefect length that I can wear flats but it doesn't look funny if I wear them with wedges either. 
  • kmr333kmr333 member
    Im 5'4", too, and was afraid to get a maternity maxi due to them possibly being too long. I bought a non-maternity petite-size maxi from target.com. I'm usually between medium and large, so I got the large. So far so good!  Target stores take online returns, too, so you could order a few different options and return the ones that don't work out. 
  • Old Navy, Target, Lane Bryant, and Destination Maternity
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • thellxthellx member
    I have two maxi dresses that I love and am planning to get a few more; One of mine is from Old Navy's maternity line, but it could definitely be worn after pregnancy as well, and one is a regular maxi from Red Dress Boutique (online). I like Red Dress Boutique because it tells you the length of the dress and the model's height along with what size she is wearing. I 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"