Breastfeeding

Help! Thrush and 20 month old nursling

I am screwed and would love advice. Went to primary last week with a sinus infection and got ammoxicillin. This is a month after taking a zpack for something else. Took it and by this past weekend had a vaginal yeast infection and thrush starting on my breasts. My 20 month old still nurses a ton and now has a diaper rash. I have been away for 4 days on business. Before leaving town I went to my ob in a panic begging for diflucan and a new jar of Apno. I had awful thrush over a year ago and we fought for months to get rid of it. They gave me minimal diflucan and told me it was unsafe for nursing. My primary wont help me. I stop the ammoxicillin but then my sinus infection comes back! I have a few diflucan from last time I had this and the 3 new ones but what do I do?!?! If I stop the ammoxicillin I will be sick. If I keep at it I will probably infect DD and we will be on for months of fighting. Oh, and her pedi won't give treatment if only I have symptoms! I can't get adequate help and medical advice. What is worse? Sinus issue or thrush? Will DD def get it if I nurse her tomorrow night when I return? This is all devastating and depressing. TIA

Re: Help! Thrush and 20 month old nursling

• I am sorry. I felt so helpless and frustrated when I had thrush.

My daughter did not get it. She did get some nystatin but I stopped giving it to her cause she was a pain and she didnt have it in her mouth. She did have a yeasty diaper rash and we got that cleared up with an antifungal. 

Do you take a probiotic? That would be a good thing to take, even after you finish your antibiotic. The refrigerated ones are the best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jess!cajess!ca member
    Thanks so much for your reply. As you can see I am pretty emotional. She has a yeast diaper rash and we are applying nystatin. She and I both take probiotics. I can't eat yogurt because she is MPI. I am going to go get a second probiotic pill strain tonight if I can. It doesn't help that I am away also!!!! I am just freaked because I have it so bad in both my breasts and vaginally. That never happened before. Just my breasts. I need to find a new ob and a new primary!
  • Loading the player...
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member

imagejess!ca:
    Thanks so much for your reply. As you can see I am pretty emotional. She has a yeast diaper rash and we are applying nystatin. She and I both take probiotics. I can't eat yogurt because she is MPI. I am going to go get a second probiotic pill strain tonight if I can. It doesn't help that I am away also!!!! I am just freaked because I have it so bad in both my breasts and vaginally. That never happened before. Just my breasts. I need to find a new ob and a new primary!

Yep.

GL.

ETA: Also:  They gave me minimal diflucan and told me it was unsafe for nursing.

WTH?  I've never heard that.  I've taken it twice, with both OB and pedi knowing I'm BFing.

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • jess!cajess!ca member
    One more question. Since my symptoms are so bad would you stop taking the ammoxicillin??? I may try to stop again. I am 5 days through a 10 day course but I am on fire from this beast!
  • For your sinuses try a neti pot or the Neti spray. I had one and using that plus vitamins cleared it up.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    imagejess!ca:
    One more question. Since my symptoms are so bad would you stop taking the ammoxicillin??? I may try to stop again. I am 5 days through a 10 day course but I am on fire from this beast!

If its an infection you really need the full course of antibiotics.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • My kiddos are MSPI. Solaray makes a probiotic that's fine for MSPIers. I found it in the refrigerated vitamin section at Whole Foods.

Thrush is so awful. The ONLY thing that worked for me, after 3 rounds of Diflucan and using the APNO, was gentian violet and boiling/sanitizing everything every day for 2 weeks. I did the gentian violet once a day for 3 days.
    DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"