July 2013 Moms

Anxiety meds???

So I font go back to the doctor until next week, but have been seriously battling anxiety for the last 10 weeks or so. It is worse at night but I do feel it during the day. It is just easier to distract myself during the day. I really do not want to go on anti anxiety meds but at the same time am unsure as to how I will make 12 more weeks??? I have been taking a Benadryl virtually nightly to help relax me so I can sleep. Is anyone else on anti anxiety meds, which one, and how did you make the decision to take it?

Re: Anxiety meds???

• I was on Celexa and Risperdal before for a whole list of reasons and came off when I found out I was pregnant.  For the most part, pregnancy mellows me out.  The psychiatrist I see decided to put me on Atarax for just in case.  I can take it up to twice a day as I need it.  We've been through a lot this pregnancy and it's been a lifesaver on the days I need it.  He has a prescription of Celexa waiting for DH to call once I have the baby.  And I will say there's a little bit of extra relief knowing I have my old meds waiting on me in the end.  (I won't go back on Risperdal unless absolutely necessary.)
  • I've battled with anxiety my whole life but during pregnancy I've had some months that were hell. I'm a hypochondriac and night time can be so bad, I will stay awake for hours and hours convincing myself I have random conditions that could harm my baby, at the beginning of my pregnancy I went to the ER only to find out my symptoms were 100% psychological.

I went off meds when I got pregnant it was really hard, but things have been getting better and better as I'm finding different ways to cope. 

Little things add up and make me feel better. For example, I feel a lot better when my condo is clean, and I avoid anything that makes me feel anxious before bed (such as google, or pregnancy books listing things that can go wrong). I also make a list of everything I'm worrying about and what I'm going to do about it the next day. If I do that I'm less likely to keep myself up obsessing about everything.

My only advice is to find little things that make you feel better and make them a priority, giving yourself little things to look forward to can give you a good distraction and make the next 12 weeks easier to deal with.

((hugs))

• Loading the player...
  • Don't suffer!

I've been on meds for anxiety and panic disorder on and off for 4 years now. This is our third baby and I have always felt really good during pregnancy so have weaned off each time I've been pregnant and gone back on afterwards. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on them now though if I felt horrible and my doctor would put me back on in a second if I felt I needed them. Having anxiety can be debilitating and complete misery.

Anxiety and depression are very unhealthy for Mom and baby and serious conditions that often need to be treated. It depends on how severe your symptoms are as to how yoi treat it but it's not something to mess around with. Make sure you mention it to your doctor to get his or her advice! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"