July 2013 Moms

Update: high blood pressure and swelling

Well I got some good and not so good news at my doctors appointment today. First of all I don't have gestational diabetes! Also, my blood pressure was better at 130/80. That was the highlight of my office visit. Basically I'm borderline preeclampic with high blood pressure, severe swelling and weight gain, high uric acid levels and a low platelet count. The good thing was my blood pressure was lower, my urine was negative for protein and my liver function tests looked great. In the last 3 weeks ive gained more weight (12 lbs) then the entire pregnancy! Yikes! The doctor wants me to come in weekly for monitoring and try to control my blood pressure with rest, low sodium intake, and drinking lots of water. She also said I have a 50% chance of going on bed rest so please pray that doesn't happen! 

I'm trying to rest as much as possible at home and I only work 2 days a week so that's good! The problem is working a few days in a row etc. I'm hoping I can go back home in 3 weeks for my baby shower, a 12 hr drive! I'm thinking my trip to Nashville the first week of June won't be happening unless my blood pressure stays in check between now and then. I'm suppose to monitor my blood pressure at home, I have a manual cuff, and while working.

Anyone go thru this and be able to NOT go on bed rest? Over the weekend my blood pressure was 140's/90's. My baseline is 110'/60's. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Update: high blood pressure and swelling

• I have no advice, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and hope that you don't end up on bed rest!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Yes, my last pregnancy I had very little weight gain, but 3 to 4 pitting edema in my lower legs from 23 weeks on. I had borderline protein levels in my 24 hr urine, 288, but all my bloodwork was normal. My BP was 140's over 80's to 180's over 90's in my last 5 weeks. My MW and I discussed what to do, but she decided to not only keep me off bed rest but allow me to continue working as well. In fact, I didn't stop work until I was 41 w 1 d! I just watched my salt and stress levels and we managed. I hope the same happens for you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I was reading online that there is no data that shows that bedrest actually helps with preeclampsia. Luckily I only 2 12 hr night shifts a week but I'm an ICU nurse so there are nights where I'm super busy and stressed. I'm hoping if it comes to limiting my activity I can keep working some how so I don't have to pay full price for my insurance and lack my income. Financially it's a horrible situation for us but I want my little guy to cook as long as possible and have good blood flow. It's not the bed rest part I don't want to do, it's not working. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's so crazy that your considered borderline preeclampsia because at the beginning of my pregnancy mine was 148/98. And my dr said it was high but still not anything to worry with right now. It did go back down but my "sparkles" and swelling are back and I'm thinking my bp is back up. I hope you get answers soon.
  • imagesigmaurse:
    I was reading online that there is no data that shows that bedrest actually helps with preeclampsia. Luckily I only 2 12 hr night shifts a week but I'm an ICU nurse so there are nights where I'm super busy and stressed. I'm hoping if it comes to limiting my activity I can keep working some how so I don't have to pay full price for my insurance and lack my income. Financially it's a horrible situation for us but I want my little guy to cook as long as possible and have good blood flow. It's not the bed rest part I don't want to do, it's not working.nbsp;

Maybe they can put you on some kind of light duty. Before I was an OB nurse, I was an ortho nurse, and we always gave our pregnant nurses a lighter assignment. I know that you'll still most likely have some very sick patients, but hopefully limiting the more physical demands will make the stress of high acuity more manageable. Good luck and keep us posted!

• imageVolsmomma88:
    That's so crazy that your considered borderline preeclampsia because at the beginning of my pregnancy mine was 148/98. And my dr said it was high but still not anything to worry with right now. It did go back down but my "sparkles" and swelling are back and I'm thinking my bp is back up. I hope you get answers soon.

A diagnosis of preeclampsia is made within a context of several signs and symptoms, not based solely on high blood pressure. Your OB was also probably considering that BP as your baseline, since it was taken at the beginning of your pregnancy. Good luck to you, too!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"