May 2013 Moms

Mommas with hardwood/tile flooring

My house has all hardwood flooring with some area rugs in the main living rooms. Of course I think it is pretty...but the idea of sitting on the ground playing with my LO on that hard, cold surface makes by butt hurt just thinking about it.

The rugs I have are not very "plush" and cushy...I know there are some out there, but they are very expensive - $600-$800. I don't have that in the budget right now.

So my question, do you ladies have any products you use, foam mats, and the like that you really find comfortable and effective? I am trying not to buy the primary colored, ABC foam pads from BRU....but, maybe the days of nice looking decor is out the window!

TIA! 

Me: 32
DH: 35
DD #1: 6/1/2013
EDD #2: 6/7/2017
BabyFruit Ticker
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Mommas with hardwood/tile flooring

• I have travertine flooring and I am looking at getting pads designed to go under area rugs.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just have little blankets that I put down when we are working on tummy time, but otherwise, we've been here for almost six years since DS was 3 weeks old, and we never really had him on the floor other than letting him learn to crawl around 6 months, when we pretty much couldn't contain him anymore.  Never turned out to be a problem for us...

DH is a crazy clean freak, so he swiffered every day...

TTC#2 5+ yrs Me: 44 yrs DH: 34 yrs DS born 8/2007 MC 11/2008 (natural) MC 5/2011 (IVF) MC 12/20011 (IVF) BFP 9/2012!! (DE) EDD 5/25/2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can get some of the leftover carpet at Lowe's for a great price.  They will even turn it into a rug for you. Another place to look for rugs if you are on a budget is Garden Ridge (if you have them in your area).

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • We have tile floors in our house. I also didn't want the brightly colored mats you can find in stores. We ended up finding some online at greatmats.com that were more neutral. We have the mats in our living area and they are brown and are comfortable to sit/play on with our toddler. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My MIL bought those foam mats (similiar to the ABC ones) but they had a hardwood design rather then the bright colors.

I had bought the bright colored ones for my house, and between those, the baby gates and toys, I felt like I lived in a preeschool. But you get used to it :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! All of these are great suggestions. I will check them out!
    Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I would just use a yoga mat or a pillow. I didn't think of it until now but that's what I'll be doing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebeckyschell:
    I would just use a yoga mat or a pillow. I didn't think of it until now but that's what I'll be doing.

I really don't give it much thought.  Now that I am pregnant and DD is bigger, I sit with my back against the sofa on the rug with a pillow but we will lay across the hardwoods and color or build towers or whatever and it isn't uncomfortable. 

When the yoga mat comes out, it is tumbling time, so I can't use that for just sitting on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HomeGoods! We got a huge rug for 200. Im sure smaller ones are even cheaper.
  • DS1 was fine with our rugs, and we put blankets down on top of the rugs for added measure.

What really made me nervous was once he started to walk around the house.....our whole first floor is super hard hardwood and ceramic tile. We followed him around extremely closely and eventually put down a bunch of SoftTiles in one area to create a playroom-type experience. Now that DS2 is on the way, I'm glad to have that padded area and plan to use it for his tummy time.

eta: Look into the chemicals used in play mats if you decide to buy them. I chose SoftTiles because their materials have been tested in an independent lab.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will go with the flow. As far as baby is concerned primarily going to be rocking in a chair and enjoying the nice weather. I love our wood floors but not looking forward to the sitting on them but our bedrooms have rug. What makes me nervous is when he or she will take their first steps.
  • I never really minded sitting on the hardwoods with our kids, but my son really minded!  We just used an area rug in the living room and then, for other areas like the kitchen, I used to put him on cheap yoga mats.  When he was learning to sit up, he always fell backward, so it ended up saving his poor little head more than once.  My daughter, who didn't have the same tipping over problems, never needed them and didn't care about the hard floors. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • fyi, foam puzzle floor mats were recalled in Europe because they were found to leech formaldehyde, which is a carcinogen. Sadly this has gotten NO press in the US :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"