Military Families
Options

Tricare & Homebirth

Hey all! I was just wondering if anyone had any luck getting a homebirth reimbursed by Tricare?

Thanks! 

Anniversary

Re: Tricare & Homebirth

• Options
    Good luck! With all the military cut backs not many people get reimbursed now days. My husband is active duty Army stationed at Ft Bliss TX. I'm forced to go to the military hospital for OB and their care is hit or miss to say the least. Because of the military cut backs they no longer test for sugar in your urine.
  • Options

imagehgmain10ance:
    Good luck! With all the military cut backs not many people get reimbursed now days. My husband is active duty Army stationed at Ft Bliss TX. I'm forced to go to the military hospital for OB and their care is hit or miss to say the least. Because of the military cut backs they no longer test for sugar in your urine.

The current cutbacks have zero to do with not checking your urine. I've received prenatal care at 3 separate bases over the last 8 years, none of which have ever tested for sugar or protein in urine. The issue is that MTFs tend to ignore standard care practices, IMO. As far as being forced to be seen at a MTF, that's not true either. You can switch to Standard and have a choice in your provider. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemrsashleyk:

imagehgmain10ance:

I recently disenrolled from Tricare Prime and am now Tricare Standard. One of the major perks to this is you get to choose who you want for an OB. The deductible is only $150 and the co-pays aren't bad either. It's worth it, especially if you are so unhappy with the care you are receiving now!

If you are seen by a network provider, the pregnancy itself it covered 100%. You will have to pay a nominal fee for delivery if you stay in the hospital. Otherwise, there are no OOP costs associated with prenatal care. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ahh, that's encouraging, thanks!

I'm on prime and I get to choose my dr. Maybe because DH is ARNG? My last birth was in a hospital and 100 covered. That was fantastic!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    JoBenJoBen member
    Home births can be covered, so long as your midwife is a certified nurse midwife (CNM). If you dig around, Tricare does have this information posted somewhere on the web.
  • Options

imageJoBen:
    Home births can be covered, so long as your midwife is a certified nurse midwife (CNM). If you dig around, Tricare does have this information posted somewhere on the web.

Yep ^^^ I have looked into it as well and found several CNMs that have never had a problem getting reimbursed. Home births are cheaper than hospital births, so cutbacks don't matter. 

*TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"