Breastfeeding
Options

low supply

LO is 11 days old today. We went to the lactation consultant yesterday and had LO weighed and she weighed an ounce less than a week ago, and was down 8.9% from her birth weight. They had me nurse her for 10 minutes on each side and weighed her afterward, and she had gained only a mL or less each time. They gave her formula while we were in the office and she guzzled it down. I feel terrible because I've been starving her. :(

They had me pump while I was there and I only got 12 mL on the right, 2 on the left. They told us to offer her the breast every 3 hours and try to nurse for 10 minutes on one side, then give her an ounce to an ounce and a half of formula, then pump for 15 minutes. Anything I pump gets fed to her first after offering her the breast, then supplement with formula.

Today I've pumped and haven't gotten more than 8 mL total in each 15 minute pumping session. They told me to start fenugreek, thistle, and to eat oatmeal in the morning and at night. They also suggested power pumping, where I pump for 10 minutes every hour.

Is there any hope for me or is my milk drying up? Any suggestions? I feel absolutely terrible. To top it all off, her tummy has been rejecting the formula at some times. It breaks my heart. 

MF (low motility) - Began stims for IVF#1 7/21/12
ER 8/2/12 - 14 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and ICSI'd, 6 fertilized. ET 8/7 - 2 embies. Beta#1 8/17: 143! Beta#2 8/20: 590! Beta#3 8/22: 1,162! 1st US 9/4: one beautiful little bean with the best sounding HB I've ever heard!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: low supply

• Options
    I'm sorry that you are going through this. My best advice is to keep well hydrated, nourished and rest as much as possible. Power pump and try herbs, I took more milk plus. When I pumped, i visualized my breasts overflowing with milk, like niagra falls. Sounds silly, but it may help you from worrying and constantly looking at your milk containers.
  • Options
    Thank you both! I really appreciate your advice!
    MF (low motility) - Began stims for IVF#1 7/21/12
    ER 8/2/12 - 14 eggs retrieved, 12 mature and ICSI'd, 6 fertilized. ET 8/7 - 2 embies. Beta#1 8/17: 143! Beta#2 8/20: 590! Beta#3 8/22: 1,162! 1st US 9/4: one beautiful little bean with the best sounding HB I've ever heard!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"