High-Risk Pregnancy

Diabetic question

Hey ladies,

Just curious for the Type 1 diabetics, did your blood glucose levels spike higher really early on in your pregnancies and you had to compensate with more insulin? Or, does it take a little while. We are trying to conceive and I normally do not have these higher blood glucose readings and was wondering if the two are linked. Thanks for any comments.

Re: Diabetic question

• It's been a bit different for me... Since right near the beginning I started going really really low in the middle of the night (like I'm talking 1.2's and 1.3's which would be 21-24 for you Americans) so I've had to decrease my basal rate overnight by 10%.  I still often wake up low in the mornings but it's not as bad as it was before.  I think I just need to decrease my basal rate a bit more in the few hours before I wake up.

My post-breakfast numbers have stayed about the same as they were pre-pregnancy.  I am much more insulin resistant in the mornings so I have to take more than my normal 1 unit per 8 grams of carbs that I take for meals during the rest of the day (I take about 1 unit per 4 or 5 carbs at breakfast)... but this is no different than before I was pregnant.  And yes, like you, I try to avoid simple carbs at this time.

I'm sure though that once I get used to the schedule for this week, it'll change again by next week :P

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had some highs right around when I found out, but we were TTC and this is my second pregnancy, so I was expecting the changes and compensated with my insulin pump. I will have spells where I have to constantly increase, and then they'll level off and then I'll go back to needing to increase again.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Loading the player...
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    In the very beginning, I had some extreme lows, more frequent than I had highs. Like, down to 26 in the middle of teaching a yoga class when I had just eaten a snack before. I quickly learned that I couldn't tolerate brown rice anymore - that established a pattern of highs very quickly, despite adjusting my insulin. Once I realized what my pregnancy trigger foods were, I had a much better time, and my insulin rates were pretty stable until 2nd tri, as long as I ate consistently throughout the day and planned well for exercise, more than I did before.
  • Yep! For the first week or so after getting a BFP, my insulin resistance was higher. After that, it dropped and I had a lot of hypoglycemic episodes during the first trimester. Around week 20 or so, my insulin resistance started to spike and I began suffering from the "dawn phenomenon" --- which I had never experienced prior to being pregnant.

Good luck! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

mine were up really early on, then they dropped, then they started to go up, up, up and up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"