Breastfeeding

Antibiotics and Baby's Tummy? (maybe TMI)

Apologies if this is TMI...

My son (1 month old) has had some green in his poop since last Thursday - sometimes just a bit mixed in with the usual mustard, sometimes the whole thing. Consistency is sometimes runny, sometimes the usual seedy. He's EBF - a mix of from the breast and expressed milk in bottles. Gaining weight great, not excessively fussy or gassy (except for first thing in the morning when he gets an entire pumped bottle).

I was convinced it was foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and have been only feeding from one side, but it hasn't really gotten better. Then today it occurred to me that things started the day after I started antibiotics (macrobid for a UTI). I just finished the antibiotic run yesterday, and there was still some green poop this morning.

So, has anyone had anything like this happen when they took antibiotics? If so, how long did it last? Anything I need to be concerned about?

Incidentally, this is the second time I've been on macrobid since he was born and this didn't happen the first time. So perhaps that indicates that it is a different problem? The coincidence just seems too strong, though...

Re: Antibiotics and Baby's Tummy? (maybe TMI)

• Pretty sure antibiotics mess with little one's poop.  The meds kill off their good bacteria.  Many moms pump and dump and use stored milk while taking antibiotics.  Not sure which ones are more problematic.  I would give it a few days and see if it improves!

• I disagree with pp about dumping. But you could try probiotics for both of you. That should help.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"