Working Moms

Is there any law (state or federal) that requires extra pay for Sat or Sunday?

I have a friend who keeps insisting that some workers have to be paid 1.5 times their regular rate for Saturday work and 2 times their regular rate for working on Sunday...this is even when they are not working more than 40 hours in a work week.  I've looked at the FLSA, Davis Beacon Act, etc. and can't find anything.  Have any of you heard of such a thing?

Edit:  When I say "have to be paid" I mean it in terms of a legal requirement.  I just cannot find any law that states this other than a couple of states (CA and KY) require extra pay on the 7th consecutive day of work, but that has nothing to do with Saturday or Sunday.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Is there any law (state or federal) that requires extra pay for Sat or Sunday?

• No.

That doesn't even make sense.  I worked retail all through out college and you better believe I worked every Saturday and Sunday.  There was no extra pay.

I am in NY, so I *guess* it could be different somewhere else.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I am in Maryland, and I know we have to pay our nanny 1.5 times for overtime (anything over 40 hrs).  I'm sure it depends on your state and employer classification, but I've worked many a weekend and never saw extra $$!

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:

No.

That doesn't even make sense.  I worked retail all through out college and you better believe I worked every Saturday and Sunday.  There was no extra pay.

I am in NY, so I *guess* it could be different somewhere else.

this

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I know about the 1.5 times pay for over 40 hours in a week under the FLSA, but this person is saying that Saturday and Sunday have to be paid more.  I agree that it does not make sense.  I have never heard of such a thing.  I have been all over the Department of Labor website and I can't find anything even remotely related other than California and Kentucky make you pay someone extra after they have worked 7 consecutive days in a row...but it has nothing to do with Saturday and Sunday!!!

• I do know that some healthcare facilities have shift differentials where an individual may make an extra .50 an hour (or something like that)  if they work a pm/noc shift or a weekend shift.  This was the case when I worked a hospital in college (in the kitchen).  There wasn't a union, but the extra pay was a nice benefit for working a less desirable shift. 
  • jlaOKjlaOK member

I don't think that there are any federal or state laws about this.  Everything I've heard of for OT/weekend/holiday pay is individual to the company and/or union.

Your friends theory would be detrimental for any retail/food service establishment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• My DH gets paid extra for Sundays and holidays, but I think it's just a benefit of the job, not bc it's a law.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your friend is funny. (and dumb)

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • It depends on how you are paid and your individual state.  Most salary employees like I am just have a set yearly rate that is divided equally between your pay periods, a month in my case.  Any extra hours you work to get the job done are not paid any extra.  Hourly employees usually have a 40 hour rate, then anything over 40 is 1.5x and anything over 48 is 2x.  (this might be where the Saturday Sunday thing comes in)  The clerical positions in my office that actually could get paid for overtime never work over though, and the salary people that have more responsibility always work over.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage
  • imageSuburbsMrs:
    In the federal and lower graded ranks there is a "Sunday" premium. There is no adjustment for Saturday work.It is only for Sunday when it's scheduled work at the lower grades and it's no where near what your friend cited. I think it was an extra 25 per hour.When I was a park ranger years ago I received Sunday pay. Other than that.... nope haven't hear of it.nbsp;

This makes sense. DH works an hourly gov subsidized job as i posted above he gets paid extra for Sundays and holidays.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    No law that requires that. If they are earning overtime, it relates to how many hours worked that week and has nothing to do with what day of the week it is.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Leap08Leap08 member
    imageSuburbsMrs:

In the federal (and lower graded) ranks there is a "Sunday" premium. There is no adjustment for Saturday work.

It is only for Sunday when it's scheduled work at the lower grades and it's no where near what your friend cited. I think it was an extra 25% per hour.

When I was a park ranger years ago I received Sunday pay.

Other than that.... nope haven't hear of it. 

That sounds right to me. My husband works for the Forest Service and usually works on Sundays throughout the summer. I know he gets paid extra for that, but it's not a lot extra. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageEXP_626:

I don't know for sure, but I think I have heard of that being a condition with some union-related work.

ETA: I did a little googling, and some unions do make 1.5 and double time for weekend work conditions in their contracts. I know it was part of the negotiations with the laborers where I work.

This makes sense.  And if your friend is around a lot of people in the same union, she might hear about it enough that she thinks it's a law. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the responses!  Between my own research and responses on this thread, I am completely convinced my friend is full of BS. 

• When I was working retail or the food industry, i'd get paid 1.5 when I worked holidays or overtime.  I've never heard of this Saturday/Sunday thing.
    image @wa_tracy image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"