June 2013 Moms

Diastasis Recti

Any FTM's with diastasis recti? I went into see my doctor yesterday due to some discomfort I've been having in my upper abdomen. I think I may have irritated things by doing too much jumping and twisting in exercise classes. She said it's about time I do more low impact activity. Anyone dealing with it? I'm not looking forward to the after birth because of not being able to do situps and crunches right away to help the stomach shrink back down! =(

Re: Diastasis Recti

• This is where the abdominal muscles separate, right? Mine have been separated since about 18 weeks. I'm also not looking forward to being limited in the workout department after birth.

I found a website via Pinterest that might interest you: https://inspiredrd.com/2012/06/dear-diastasis-recti-im-so-over-you.html

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Some separation is normal, but if it's excessive it can be a problem.  You can do crunches after the baby, but you'll want to use a splint (aka a towel wrapped around your belly).  Check out the Tupler Technique (https://diastasisrehab.com/)  She has a workout DVD (mummy tummy, I think) that is all rehab of diastasis recti!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Pregnant women with diastasis should avoid twisting movements as these exert shear forces across the mid line and can worsen the condition. Don't do any type of crunch, oblique curl, or other exercises/movements that lift the upper body off the floor, or against the force of gravity, as these activities stress the mid line too.

When your belly gets big, take care that you do not allow the weight of your pregnancy to pull your pelvis out of alignment (which over arches the lower back). When getting off the floor or out of bed, always use the "log roll" technique to protect your mid line.

You can prevent or lessen the severity of diastasis recti during pregnancy by strengthening your Transverse Abdominis. This is your deepest abdominal muscle, and when contracted, compresses the abdomen.

Start doing standing, seated, or side lying abdominal compressions (Baby Hugs) and standing or seated abdominal compressions with pelvic tilts (Baby Lifts). Google my screen name for more info.

BeFit-Mom

• Many of my customers continue to about Diastasis Rehab and the Perfect Pushing DVD (to not exacerbate the separation).  I ship it all over the world.  The program is backed by a Columbia University study with additional studies being done to support its claims.

You can splint now during pregnancy to help with the separation. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"