July 2013 Moms

Sucking at work...

I know I'm not getting fired. I just feel horrible because I've been working on a report forever. I've doing all the gathering of data, analysis, figure/ map creation, and report writing.

It's a huge undertaking and I just switched to this field and am pretty young. So I didn't even know terminology when I started this thing!

Anyways, I've reached out for help.. And it always got pushed to the side because we have other projects. So I've had to do all my own review so far. I know there are issues. I just feel awful because others are reviewing it now and it's getting butchered!!

I'm not the best writer so that's the biggest problem. The data and analysis is pretty solid. It still makes me feel like crap because its not awesome.

Anyone else feel inadequate at their job??

Re: Sucking at work...

• I'm with you!!!  I accepted this job, and found out I was PG a week later. I changed fields as well.  I also have ADD and am not allowed to take me medicine while pregnant.  I feel like I don't have a brain anymore, and am not able to complete my work as well and as quickly as I otherwise would have been.  I am also learning things much more slowly.  Its a terrible way to start out at a new job.
  • If it makes you feel any better, a big part of my job is to review others' work/writing (and, often, re-work it). I will tell you straight-up that I would FAR prefer a report that has solid data and analysis but needs help with writing than one that's well-written but lacks substance. The first kind is eminently more fixable.

Also, remember, always, that the point of the review is to find and fix the negatives to improve the document. Reviews like this can often sound really negative, because that's what they're designed to find. Don't let it discourage you - I hope they're at least giving you constructive criticism and advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegulickr:
    If it makes you feel any better, a big part of my job is to review others' work/writing and, often, rework it. I will tell you straightup that I would FAR prefer a report that has solid data and analysis but needs help with writing than one that's wellwritten but lacks substance. The first kind is eminently more fixable. Also, remember, always, that the point of the review is to find and fix the negatives to improve the document. Reviews like this can often sound really negative, because that's what they're designed to find. Don't let it discourage you I hope they're at least giving you constructive criticism and advice!

Thanks! That helps!

Yes, my boss asked if I'd take a technical writing course since this job requires a lot of writing. if I wasn't valuable they wouldn't invest in this.. I wish I just had feed back sooner than later since I knew I needed it.
  • OY! I am feeling horrible at work. I just basically had the same thing happen to me... I basically spent three or four weeks straight compiling data and putting together a really comprehensive report just to have it torn to pieces because it was TOO comprehensive and they didn't want it laid out that way. I'm being compared to a colleague who is working on his masters and has a team working with him, so he prepared this glossy pamphlet thing filled with pretty pictures and put together by a coop student. I'm a Professional Engineer, and I'm working on my own with no team to do my work. I do details, and I have no imagination. You get an engineering report. Not a freakin' piece of art. I've been so pissed about it I've had steam coming out my ears... Plus my manager is buddies from school with this other guy, so I just want to deck him because he's freakin plated with gold.

RAR. Oooohhhkay... Rant over. But trust me, I can empathise. :S

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagethegoodpotato:
    OY! I am feeling horrible at work. I just basically had the same thing happen to me... I basically spent three or four weeks straight compiling data and putting together a really comprehensive report just to have it torn to pieces because it was TOO comprehensive and they didn't want it laid out that way. I'm being compared to a colleague who is working on his masters and has a team working with him, so he prepared this glossy pamphlet thing filled with pretty pictures and put together by a coop student. I'm a Professional Engineer, and I'm working on my own with no team to do my work. I do details, and I have no imagination. You get an engineering report. Not a freakin' piece of art. I've been so pissed about it I've had steam coming out my ears... Plus my manager is buddies from school with this other guy, so I just want to deck him because he's freakin plated with gold.

RAR. Oooohhhkay... Rant over. But trust me, I can empathise. :S

Sorry you are dealing with it too! I'm an engineer too, no pe yet. But I'm working on planning projects so the perspective is completely different. So that's hard for me to wrap my mind around.. I'm getting there too.
  • I feel the same way. Our team changed this year and has new responibilities and I have just been much slower with the adjustments. I have dealt with morning sickness and nausea most of my preg, broke my foot in March and had the norovirus earlier this month...I just cannot get into the groove with work and do feel VERY sucky. Hopefully all of this turns around after the LO comes along!

Bonus: 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"