Baby Names
Options

Graeme?

I am in LOVE with the name Graeme for a boy. DH isn't in love persay, because he feels like no one will pronounce it correctly.

The second concern we have is that our last name is Green.

Does Graeme Green sound awful??

Middle name would either be Timothy or Carl.

DD is Noelle Marie.

Thanks!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Graeme?

• Options
    I actually prefer that spelling and don't normally mind alliteration, but Graeme Green seems kind of awkward to me for some reason.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    i like the alliteration but really dislike this spelling, im sorry! It hurts my brain!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm with your DH on this one.  I prefer Graham spelling.  However, I really don't like either spelling with your last name.  Graeme Green sounds and looks awkward.

Noelle Marie is beautiful and I think you need to keep looking for a boy name.  Sorry!

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageIdani:
    I don't mind Graeme but I do not really love it with your last name, sound or look wise.

Yes.  Also your hubs isn't keen on it, so I would start over.

What about Timothy Graeme?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I really like Graeme and IMO it's a name that is familiar to most people, so I don't think pronunciation should be a huge issue.

My only hesitation is that Graham Green is the name of a writer and an actor. I don't think either one is overly well known today but both were fairly prolific, so I would be prepared for comments or people asking if he was named after one of them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I like the original spelling too but he's right... people will mispronounce it. It sucks but that's the reality. It would make me avoid the name (or at least the spelling). I think Graeme Green is weird. It's not just the alliteration but the fact that it's so many similar letters when you look at it.

• Options

imagesalt78:
    I actually prefer that spelling and don't normally mind alliteration, but Graeme Green seems kind of awkward to me for some reason.

Ditto all of this.   

• Options

per se

I love Graeme, but I like the Gaelic spellings for a lot of names

Graeme Green would remind me of the author, and I'm not fond of alliteration. But hey, if you like it, go for it

• Options
    also your siggy pic is SUPER ENORMOUS!! ha! 
  • Options

I know it's enormous.. I've actually deleted the picture out completely and it keeps showing up :(

I was thinking it sounds weird together as well. Thank you ladies! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekayjay10:

I'm with your DH on this one.  I prefer Graham spelling.  However, I really don't like either spelling with your last name.  Graeme Green sounds and looks awkward.

Noelle Marie is beautiful and I think you need to keep looking for a boy name.  Sorry!

Yup.  Exactly. 

Anniversary 
  • Options
    imageEmpireceo:
    imagekayjay10:

Yup.  Exactly. 

i third this 

• Options
    imageJoy2611:

imagestrawberrytree:
    My only hesitation is that Graham Green is the name of a writer and an actor.

My very first thought upon reading the name was "Graham Greene is a writer..." and I chuckled.

Man - my school was the only one where "The Power and the Glory" was on the required reading list?  I'm kind of surprised more people aren't familiar with the author.  It was also my first thought.

I love the name Graeme, and I don't really see it being mispronounced, but the alliteration and the author would keep me from using it.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageJoy2611:

imagestrawberrytree:
    My only hesitation is that Graham Green is the name of a writer and an actor.

My very first thought upon reading the name was "Graham Greene is a writer..." and I chuckled.

I like the name (and the spelling), but I wouldn't name my child this because of the above facts.

Same thought. I like Graeme. I like both spellings, actually. But this would be like naming your kid Jon Stewart or Thomas Jefferson. The names, separately, are common enough, but put them together, and they reference another person.  

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Sorry to sound dumb but how do you pronounce it? I've never seen it. Is it an alternative spelling for Graham? And I'm a fan of alliteration. If it is pronounced like Graham then I like Graeme Green.
  • Options
    Nice name. I much prefer Graham to Graeme. I detest that spelling, sorry.

image     image  image
       Maverick James 01.07.2012                  * Married 01.23.2010 *                     Harper Skye 01.24.2013

• Options
    imagesalt78:

I agree!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    You'd probably have better luck spelling it Graham since that's the more commonly known spelling, if you are worried about pronunciation issues. But it does seem to be a bit much with your last name, unfortunately. Kind of a tongue twister. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"