1st Trimester

Moving...Canada to USA Differences in Prenatal care? c/s

Hi! I had my son Max, via emergency c-section here in Canada and have recently found I'm expecting again, yay!

We are moving to the US in June (Iowa) for my husband to do a 2 year fellowship, so I will be delivering there in December via RCS (for medical reasons I do not have the option to VBAC). I was just curious if anyone has experience transferring medical records mid-pregnancy from Canada to the States, and also if anyone knows what sorts of differences to expect. We will have insurance through my husband's work but I've always been on the Canadian system so will need to learn how to navigate it. Any tips would be appreciated!!! 

With my first c-section, I got to hold my baby right away (after he was cleaned up and I was sewed up....he was nestled in with me as I was wheeled to recovery) so I am hoping I can do that again right away! They unswaddled Max immediately, for skin to skin contact and he nursed right away so I'm hoping for that too! 

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Moving...Canada to USA Differences in Prenatal care? c/s

• Your birth experience sounds just like mine with DS2 (we're both Aug11 moms, I hope you recognize me!!).  It depends on hospital policy, but your birth experience can be fairly similar to Max's.  

With insurance in the States, you just need to familiarize yourself with your benefits.  You can talk directly to your insurance company about what they'll cover vs. what you'll pay out of pocket.  Sometimes, you're lucky and get a great OB's office, and the people who work the desk can tell you your benefits -- this is not always accurate, so I suggest you discuss the specifics of your policy coverage directly with the insurance company.

Depending on your insurance, you can "shop" for a good OB -- one that has similar philosophies and does c-sections in a hospital that also jives with your preferences.  I don't know where in Iowa you'll be, but you may or may not have the option to do this based on resources.  Once you get settled perhaps you could make a few acquaintances with your DH's co-workers andor their wives to find good OBs in the area?

Good luck!! 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Oh hey! I didn't realize you had another one on the way too - congrats!! Thanks for the tips. I am going to call our insurance company to get the details. My husband will be working at the hospital so I'm hoping he can find out who the best c-section person is and get me in there - good call on hitting up the wives and co-workers! 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • your experience sounds just like mine, but I really think it varies by hospital. I've heard of people hating their c/s because they didn't get to hold the baby for many minutes or hours. I don't know why this would be the case, you might just have to do some in investigating. Welcome to the midwest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"