Breastfeeding
Options

So frustrated!

DD will be 7 weeks on thursday and has been ebf. Normally we nurse both sides each feeding for 10-15 minutes each. She then seems happy and content with an adequate amount of diapers. I don't pump often since she eats so often but originally when I would pump I would get 1.5 oz per side. Last week I pumped twice with the right side giving me 1.5 and the left giving me .5oz. So I'm stressed out that my supply is gone... 

DH decided to have a convo with a coworker who just returned from materniry leave and she told him that I should only nurse on 1 side for 20-30 minutes then pump. She also told him that she gets 9oz when she pumps and showed him her milk which he said looked like buttermilk (thick) where when I pump it looks like skim.

I'm at a loss. Should I only nurse her on one side then pump the other? What can I do to produce more hind milk?  

Re: So frustrated!

• Options

First of all don't compare yourself to other people.  I find it hard to believe your DH's co-worker was getting 9 oz when she pumps AFTER she feeds the baby.  Maybe total without feeding baby, but again everyone is different.  I have been a pretty good pumper and I would rarely get 9 oz in one sitting.  

Anyway back to you, just keep doing what works for you.  Are you back at work? Or are you worried you won't be keeping up with your baby when you return to work? You could try and increase output by pumping after every feeding which would stimulate your body to make more milk, but then you could create an oversupply.  Otherwise if you're away from your LO just pump when she would normally eat.

Anyway pumping output (especially after having fed your LO) isn't necessarily a good indicator of how much milk you produce and she eats.

The best way to produce more hind milk and more milk in general is to keep nursing her and nurse until one breast is "empty" and then offer the other breast.  My DD#2 always ate from both sides but many babies don't.

Good luck but it actually sounds like you're doing ok!

• Options

What is making you think that your not producing hind milk? 

If your baby is satisfied BFing then it could just be an issue with your pump. Baby will be much better at getting milk out that your pump. And there is nothing wrong with your milk looking thin. That will have more to do with your diet than anything. Some days my milk looks more thin than others but it has caused no issues for DS.

If nursing on both sides works for your child then continue to do that. Every mother and baby is different. I had a severe over supply which led to an imbalance. DS was having green runny BM's which is a sign of imbalance. He now only feeds from one breast each time he eats. Not everyone is able to satisfy their child this way. You need to go by your babies needs and signs.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

Your DH's coworker has an oversupply. 

You have a normal supply.

You should keep doing what you are doing.  

Yep.  9oz after a feeding is an oversupply, which you don't want.  I was pumping about the same as you when DS was that age.  You will most likely pump more per session as LO's intake increases, you get the hang of your pump, your body responds better to the pump, etc.

Your milk is tailored to your baby and isn't going to look the same as someone else's.  My sister's looks more yellowish and fatty than mine.  Both of our babies are satisfied.

If you're truly concerned you have a supply issue, then talk to a lactation consultant.  Comparing yourself to another mom isn't accurate and will just drive you bonkers.  Everything sounds pretty normal, though.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Thanks Ladies! I am a SAHM so pumping is difficult for me in general. She is pumping at work in place of nursing which I tried to explain to my DH could be why she is pumping more... that and her lo is older then ours so maybe eats more. I've been trying it her way since last night and i don't know..this last feeding I gave her the left side for 20 min then she was still fussing so I offered her the right after I changed her diaper and tried to distract her which she then took for around 10 min. By the time I feed her, change her, play with her or put her down for a nap I have no desire to pump because I know in an hour she will be up wanting to eat again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"