September 2012 Moms
Options

s/o Mothers day

Any FTMs (or even STMs) feel like you're probably going to overlooked this mothers day?  Sure I'll get a gift but that will probably be all and it will be rushed between church and seeing different familys. 

All our family live in town and we've always spent half the day at one house and the other half at the other.  I can already foresee issues if I request to have some "rest" time to enjoy my own mothers day.  *sigh*  I would really just like an afternoon to myself or even a beach trip with just DH and DS like some of you mentioned. 

Re: s/o Mothers day

• Options
    We take my mom out to dinner orhave her over the weekend or night before.  Mother's Day is about me now.  Sorry if that sounds selfish... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagegingerfamily:
    We take my mom out to dinner orhave her over the weekend or night before.  Mother's Day is about me now.  Sorry if that sounds selfish... 

Doesn't sound selfish to me.  I just know in the end it will hurt feelings and things will be said because my family can be like children.  I don't feel like fighting it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    We plan our own thing and invite our moms to join us. My first mother's day, we planned a trip to the zoo (James' first time at the zoo) and MIL joined us. I think my mom was out of town. Last year, neither parent lived near us so we were on our own and did brunch at a nice resort hotel. This year, my mom lives here now. I told DH I wanted to do a picnic at the Botanical Gardens and I invited my mom to join us, she agreed.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

I'm not sure exactly whats up with this Mother's Day. We usually spend some time with DH's mom and my parents. Since this is the first Mother's Day for me I might request to just have everyone come over our house or something. Don't sell yourself short. You are a Mother now. They've had years to celebrate with their childre, it's now your turn.

My mom always told me that. It's her day until I have children. At that point it then becomes my day. A great way to look at it since DH's mom has had 35 years with him and my mom has had 28 years with me!

• Options

Never had a mothers day anything for me.

This is my 3rd mothers day and I guarantee you it will be spent trying to appease my mother and grandmother.

Of course I'm planning to send everyone (my mom, gram, MiL, DH's grandmothers) mother's day card with our ultrasound picture in it. We're aiming it so they get it on Saturday. And then Saturday Dh and I are going to go do something with the kids, somewhere with no cell service.  Devil

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • Options

My first Mother's Day, I got overlooked.  We went out of town to be with SD for her birthday that Saturday and then ended up riding in the car all day on Mother's Day (6 hours) because SD were spending the day with their mom and we had nothing to do but go home.  By the time we got there, we were too tired to do anything else.

Last year I put my foot down and told DH that we can go there the weekend before or after but not the weekend of.  I think it's silly since we end up driving 6 hours up and 6 hours back for one day, esentially, and it ruins my Mother's Day.  SD is 16, so she doesn't insist on it or anything, it's just something DH always did.

I felt like I had to say something because I didn't want to resent it every year.  I'm glad I did.

• Options
    imageisacdimi10:

This is my 3rd mothers day and I guarantee you it will be spent trying to appease my mother and grandmother.

Of course I'm planning to send everyone (my mom, gram, MiL, DH's grandmothers) mother's day card with our ultrasound picture in it. We're aiming it so they get it on Saturday. And then Saturday Dh and I are going to go do something with the kids, somewhere with no cell service.  Devil

Do they not know you're pregnant yet?  That's a sweet surprise. 

• Options
    imageGray99:
    imageisacdimi10:

Do they not know you're pregnant yet?  That's a sweet surprise. 

Nope I'll be like 11 weeks around that time and i have an u/s on the 8th so I figure we'll tell them. 

• Options
    imageGray99:

Any FTMs (or even STMs) feel like you're probably going to overlooked this mothers day?  Sure I'll get a gift but that will probably be all and it will be rushed between church and seeing different familys. 

All our family live in town and we've always spent half the day at one house and the other half at the other.  I can already foresee issues if I request to have some "rest" time to enjoy my own mothers day.  *sigh*  I would really just like an afternoon to myself or even a beach trip with just DH and DS like some of you mentioned. 

This is pretty much what I commented on the Mother's Day thread below.  It's not about me and what I would like to do and won't be for a long, long time and it depresses me to think about it and I feel selfish for feeling that way but at the same token, I'm a mom too - a good one who works hard inside and outside of the home and just want that to be recognized one day a year. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageMommaP12:
    imageGray99:

This is pretty much what I commented on the Mother's Day thread below.  It's not about me and what I would like to do and won't be for a long, long time and it depresses me to think about it and I feel selfish for feeling that way but at the same token, I'm a mom too - a good one who works hard inside and outside of the home and just want that to be recognized one day a year. 

I know what you mean. 

As selfish as it is. I would like to acknowledge my own mother with a card and maybe a small gift but have the day about ME. My mom still has kids at home and they're old enough to be making mother's day about HER. But since I've had kids I've barely been mentioned on mothers day other than "Bring me my grandbabies to celebrate!" (this is bother her and MIL). 

ETA: Also I make a biggggg freaking deal about Father's day. The kids and I work on presents and pictures. We make Father's Day about DH. I make him all his favorite meals, we spend the day doing pretty much anything he likes.

Everyone says "Do to him what he does to do you" but I'm trying the guilt him into it thing. 

• Options
    imageMommaP12:
    imageGray99:

I'm sad that you feel this way. Can you try to work something out? Maybe you can celebrate with just your immediate family the following Sunday any way you want? I think you should talk to your SO about it. I was feeling resentful after my first one went by and I knew I was not going to go forward year after year like that. Maybe you guys can find a way that you can meet your obligations and you can still have a special day. You deserve it!

• Options
    All I want to do is be left alone to wallow. Unfortunately, we're hosting my family (grandma, uncle, aunts and cousins) so that's not an option. Hopefully they go home early before I lose my shiit and throw them out.
  • Options

imageBetty&Co:
    All I want to do is be left alone to wallow. Unfortunately, we're hosting my family (grandma, uncle, aunts and cousins) so that's not an option. Hopefully they go home early before I lose my shiit and throw them out.

I know this will be a hard day for you Betty.  Hopefully they will be respectful and realize that you need some space.  I know family is not always the best at that, but I'm praying they do for you.

• Options
    Yeah my mom will send me a card and likely a gift, but I'm pretty sure I will get nothing from DH. I'm just hoping for a card or a realization that it's my day now too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

DH and I are going out this Saturday to celebrate Mother's Day.  We're doing a wine tour and dinner.  DH hates wine, but he's still taking me, which I think is super sweet!  

The following weekend (Mother's Day weekend) we're taking the kids to the zoo on Saturday and then Sunday is all about our mom's.  Breakfast with MIL and dinner with my mom.

Honestly? I do kinda think it's selfish to think Mother's Day should be all about ME.  I could care less.  I'd rather celebrate our mom's on Mother's Day and do something with my little family on a different day (like we're doing.)

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    If it were up to me, I'd want to go to the beach or a garden with DH and the kids and our moms. But, my mom will be with my bro and SIL this year, and MIL and her husband aren't really the traveling types so that's probably out. I think we're having brunch at our house DH will cook. That's more relaxing to me than going out with the kids.

• Options
    imagemrs.jenni:
    DH and I are going out this Saturday to celebrate Mother's Day. nbsp;We're doing a wine tour and dinner. nbsp;DH hates wine, but he's still taking me, which I think is super sweet! nbsp;The following weekend Mother's Day weekend we're taking the kids to the zoo on Saturday and then Sunday is all about our mom's. nbsp;Breakfast with MIL and dinner with my mom.Honestly? I do kinda think it's selfish to think Mother's Day should be all about ME. nbsp;I could care less. nbsp;I'd rather celebrate our mom's on Mother's Day and do something with my little family on a different day like we're doing.

I agree with your last statements. I don't want it to be about me and only me by any means.

• Options
    Like I said below, I'm pretty sure DH has no idea that this is supposed to be a "thing" so I'm not expecting anything.  We have a fun day out with some friends and their kids planned for the Saturday prior, so that's something.  I guess it's not a huge deal to me--if we deliberately did nothing I probably wouldn't care much.  And it's awful, but really all I want is a couple hours to myself (and I'd use them to either run errands baby-free or work, so yaaaawn to me), and that seems like a very un-Mother's Day thing to ask for.  
  • Options
    I'm baptizing Melissa Claire on 5/12 so there goes my first Mother's Day! I actually wanted to do it that day since my mom will be in town and I want her to be there.  Kind of selfless, I guess:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"