Multiples

Short cervix?

My cervix measured 3.1 cm at 18 wks and 2.5 at 20 wks. My MFM wants me to visit her every week to check up and make sure everything's okay. She said it's not a very serious issue and I simply have to be careful with what I do on a daily basis, but since this is my first pregnancy and I'm having twins, it's been making me nervous. Has anyone had experience with these issues? I have a feeling my doctors will put me on strict bed rest if it gets any shorter. Any way I can avoid that from happening too early?

Also, have any moms had experiences with progesterone?

Re: Short cervix?

• I'm glad that your MFM is keeping a close eye on you...that seems to be low, not serious enough just yet though, but I'd be very cautious on my daily activities and would try to rest/keep feet elevated as much as I could.

I think my measured 2.1 or so closer to 30 weeks and I was put on bedrest around that time to make sure I could make it to 34 weeks- I wasn't on hospital bedrest, but was ordered to basically just use the bathroom, shower (not too long) and basically stay on the couch for the most part.

I was ordered off bedrest at 34 weeks and was able to make it up to 37.3 days (I was induced due to suspected TTTS).

I think a couple weeks before that I measured at a good lenght so it can basically change quite fast, but if you're careful with your daily routine, you'll be doing your best at make sure it doesn't go down or not as fast. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't offer any advice but I can share my experience. As everyone's body is different, I don't want anyone assume that their outcome will turn out like mine did.

I had my follow up ultrasound with my first cervix check at 16 weeks. I measured a 3.0 and everything looked okay. At 19 weeks I went in for another follow up and measured at a 1.7 with lots of funneling. I was immediately place on bedrest and vaginal progesterone suppositories. I had cervix checks once a week as well as an ultrasound.
    We talked about a cerclage but there were no studies that showed a cerclage helping aid a twin pregnancy.

I remained on bedrest until 32 weeks and continued the suppositories. I also received 4 doses of the steroid shot, 2 rounds. My cervix measured at its lowest a 1.7 and its highest at a 2.7 between those weeks.

My water broke on its own at 35w6d where I delivered two sweet baby girls. 5.10oz and 5.13oz neither of which needed any nicu time and were discharged with us :D good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageatorrrres:
    My cervix measured 3.1 cm at 18 wks and 2.5 at 20 wks. My MFM wants me to visit her every week to check up and make sure everything's okay. She said it's not a very serious issue and I simply have to be careful with what I do on a daily basis, but since this is my first pregnancy and I'm having twins, it's been making me nervous. Has anyone had experience with these issues? I have a feeling my doctors will put me on strict bed rest if it gets any shorter. Any way I can avoid that from happening too early? Also, have any moms had experiences with progesterone?

It's not a serious issue NOW but it certainly can be very soon.  2.5 cm is short at 20 weeks.  Mine was fine at 20 weeks and at 23 weeks down to 1 something with a huge funnel.  I went into because I was contracting.  I was pulled to bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. 

My advice is to do vaginal P.  It wasn't the standard when I was pregnant.  And to do as little as possible when not at work to avoid having to go onto strict bedrest.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"