November 2013 Moms
Options

Choices?

I went to Motherhood maternity for the first time today, and got a little gift bag along with my purchase that had some great coupons and even a bottle. Which made me realize, how do I choose what type of bottle to use? Does the baby really decide? I plan to bf, however I'll be pumping too, so experienced mommies, any input on certain bottles good or bad and why? TIA!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Choices?

• Options

Some babies are picky, others are not. We bought a few different kinds before DD was born, we started with pretty cheap/basic bottles. Just don't stock up before the baby comes.

She was not picky and would drink out of anything. One of the bottles, my DH and I didn't like. We BF too, but needed bottles when I returned to work, but since I washed my pump parts every night, we didn't need too many bottles.

If you do stick with BFing, there is no need for the larger bottles. BF babies generally don't drink more than 4-5 oz in one sitting (assuming they aren't overfed). We originally got some of the larger ones, but took them back when we realized this.

Our favorites are these:

https://www.target.com/p/evenflo-bpa-free-classic-glass-bottle-set-4oz-6pk/-/A-11044359#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=glass+bottles

I don't like plastic, so I liked the glass ones. Plus they are pretty inexpensive.

But like I said, every baby is different!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageSweetPea927:
    Dr Brown bottles were recommended to us, so that is what I got.  DS took to them with no problem.  He took a lot of bottles at daycare, so we did need quite a few even with washing them every night.  The downside to Dr Browns is that there are some extra pieces, so more washing.  If baby #2 takes them, I plan to use these again.

Are you planning on replacing the nipples or reusing those too? My plan was to use the same bottles and just to replace the nipples, but I'm not sure if that is even needed.

We never switched from the newborn flow ones, so we've used the same ones the whole time if that matters.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really liked the medela ones bc thats the type of pump I had so I could pump right into them.
    Sarah BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagearmybride6510:
    I really liked the medela ones bc thats the type of pump I had so I could pump right into them.

Just an FYI - I used both an ameda and a medela pump and I could use all of the bottles interchangeably. There are some bottles with wide necks that wouldn't work, but in general, I think they are fairly universal.

• Options

DD would have taken any bottle as long as there was formula in it.

DS1 couldn't drink out of ANY bottle (we later learned it was due to a condition) at about 4 months old we finally found out he could only tolerate the super cheap Gerber bottles. 

DS2 can only drink from bottles with fat nips, not the skinny small kind. So he drinks out of NUK bottles.

In short: they will let you know. Pick a bottle you like but only buy a couple. After a few days if baby is doing great feel free to buy more. 

BFP #1 10/28/09 EDD 06/24/10- Miscarriage 11/2/09
    BFP #2 11/30/09 EDD 08/12/10- Sophia Grace born 8/1/10
    BFP #3 11/16/10 EDD 08/04/11- Samuel Richard born 7/28/11
    BFP #4 01/04/12 EDD 09/19/12- Simon Nathaniel born 9/6/12
    BFP #5 03/27/13 EDD 11/25/13- Savannah Lee born 11/18/13
  • Options
    With my DS we tried all sorts of bottles so that my DH could feed him. DS was exclusively breast fed and he'd only take the Breast Flow by First Years bottle. I think because it mimicked the look and feel of a real breast. I figured that all the other bottles had these long nipples which isn't anything like a real nipple, so the breast flow worked for us. I BF my son till he was 14 months!
  • Options

Yes, they'll decide if they want to take a bottle at all, and what kind they like.  DD wasn't picky and did fine with BornFree, Dr. Browns and Avent.  Avent was my favorite.

And ditto PP re: pacifiers.  I tried every type and DD adamently refused to take one. 

I would suggest only registering for a few bottles, that way you can try different types and not be stuck with a huge set of bottles they won't take.

25 People Who Haven't Quite Figured Out Parenting Yet

Lilypie - (TIAf)

Lilypie - (95p4)

• Options
    I had a few kinds, but dr browns were the best.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I used the playtex drop in at first and my daughter took to them really well, but I hated that I could not easily see how much she was drinking without unscrewing the cap and letting the air back in.  We switched to the playtex Ventaire with no problems.  I liked them, but all the parts were a pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"