Baby Names

Thoughts on picking a common name...

I've always like the name Isabella - with DS I was definitely sure that was the girl name we would go with.  Now that we're having a girl, I'm really trying to narrow down the list (only 7 weeks left...!) and Isabella just keeps sticking in my head.  The thing is it's just so common now, I don't know how I feel about it.  I still think it's a pretty name but it just seems I know so many baby Isabellas...

Is anyone picking a common name?  what are your thoughts on it?  I can just imagine her in school with 3 other 'Bellas' in her class....   My name isn't super common & I always like that...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thoughts on picking a common name...

• I think most of the posters here will tell you to use the name you love, despite popularity.  I tend to agree.

Also, though popular, Isabella is a pretty classic and feminine name with a history.  I think the risk of this name sounding dated is slim to none.

If you were leaning towards Addison, for example, I might say to think about the chance of that name sounding dated in 15 years.  Addison is popular, but trendy (read: not classic).

This is coming from someone with a name that screams 1980 (me).

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I wouldnt worry to much about it being a common name.  If you like it, then use it.  Like the pp said, you can always switch up the nickname.  Isabella is a pretty name.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you love it, go for it.

In my generation there were 23049837243 Jennifers, and they all survived ;)

• imageNariaDreaming:
    I have a fairly unique name, but my classmates all had people they shared names with, and they didn't seem to be scarred for life personally or professionally by it. 

If you don't want her to be one of 3 Bellas, can you call her Belle, Iz, or Izzy? 

We had thought of toying around with the spelling or nicknames (Izabella for example, call her Iza). 

I just remember knowing so many 'Katie's' and 'Jennifer's' in school - I want more of a unique name but Isabella just keeps coming back to my head...  Stick out tongue

My other options so far are Vivian/Vivienne/Viviana.... (obviously not common at all...)

• imagevaleivegas:

imageNariaDreaming:
    I have a fairly unique name, but my classmates all had people they shared names with, and they didn't seem to be scarred for life personally or professionally by it. 

If you don't want her to be one of 3 Bellas, can you call her Belle, Iz, or Izzy? 

We had thought of toying around with the spelling or nicknames (Izabella for example, call her Iza). 

I just remember knowing so many 'Katie's' and 'Jennifer's' in school - I want more of a unique name but Isabella just keeps coming back to my head...  Stick out tongue

My other options so far are Vivian/Vivienne/Viviana.... (obviously not common at all...)

Vivian X1000.  I love the NN Vivi.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• if you adore a name, its popularity should be a non-issue for you. 

I've said this before but, my name wasn't even in the top 1000 on the ssa list the year I was born and there was still a girl in my class who shared the same name. on the flip side, Sophia is super popular right now but I don't know one child or adult with that name IRL. So its a crap shoot, really! She will survive!

• DH and I were in the same situation naming DD.  Our favorite name (Ella) was so common that we decided against it and started a new list.  All of the others were slammed on this board (with good reason) and we just kept coming back to Ella.  We went with it and I am SO glad we did.  It fits her perfectly and DH and I know we picked the name we would love forever.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHelenahhandbasket:

She would be living up to the meaning of her name - she sure is 'full of life'!  (kicking nonstop)..  I also like the nn Vivi...

• imagevaleivegas:
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

She would be living up to the meaning of her name - she sure is 'full of life'!  (kicking nonstop)..  I also like the nn Vivi...

I love Vivian/Vivienne also, but it's becoming more popular.  I currently know more Vivian's than Isabella's.  You could always do an uncommon mn and if there are several Isabellas in school, use the mn.

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are also thinking about using a common name (Samuel). Honestly, I'm not super thrilled about its popularity, but the fact that it is a classic name with a long history and fairly consistent popularity over time make me think it is ok. I've been starting to think of the baby as "Sam" and it feels right. There's a chance he will be Sam H. in school, but I think it's more important that it works for our family.

• imageDr.Loretta:
    If you love it, go for it.

In my generation there were 23049837243 Jennifers, and they all survived ;)

True that, I'm living proof!! ;) And as one of the many, many, many (did I say many) Jennifer's in the world from the 80's I'll say I love my name. I didn't care growing up that I was always Jennifer C. My BFF in elementary school was also Jennifer and we thought it was so cool we had the same name.

My DD is Madeline which I know is fairly popular now, though I don't think it's the same level as my name. I loved the name when my H suggested it and we stuck with what we loved, no matter what the popularity of her name was.

TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a reason why this name keeps coming back to you!  My friend named her daughter Isabella despite the popularity and twilight references...but she knew she always loved that name it she didn't care it was #2.  

I'm on the fence about Emma. Love Love Love the name...but I always try to find other names that are not as popular but then it makes me sad that maybe I would regret not using Emma in the end...and I'm not even pregnant! 

Good luck!  

• I have Jacob on my list.

If you use a common name then yes you run a greater risk of them having another child in the same class with the same name.  However, this can happen with almost any name and they won't be in school forever. I think a classic like Isabella is worth using.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am having the same thoughts with the name Ethan. In the end, I'm pretty sure we will go with it, if you really love it who cares about popularity.  
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • I think it really depends on your geographical location.  My DD is 9 ... and the year she was born Emma was the 2nd most popular name of the year (it was the year after the Friends baby was born and the name exploded).  She's in 3rd grade now and hasn't had another Emma in her class at all.  We run into other Emma's on the playground sometimes .... but it's not obnoxious.

So I say if you love the name, use it!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• imageHelenahhandbasket:
    I think most of the posters here will tell you to use the name you love, despite popularity.nbsp; I tend to agree.Also, though popular, Isabella is a pretty classic and feminine name with a history.nbsp; I think the risk of this name sounding dated is slim to none. If you were leaning towards Addison, for example, I might say to think about the chance of that name sounding dated in 15 years.nbsp; Addison is popular, but trendy read: not classic.This is coming from someone with a name that screams 1980 me. nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

I agree!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"